Darn you, Sparkalloid!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OJT and online forums where you can ask people who know what they're doing!
smiley1.gif

And we do know what we are doing here. (mostly
smiley2.gif
)

The wine looks terrific. I am so glad it finally cleared for you. Now the important thing, what are you going to fill the empty carboy with cause they like to to kept full.

Don't worry, Vcasey - I'm completely bitten by the wine bug and there are several possibilities already waiting in line for that empty carboy (and the winner will most likely be Wade's currant wine recipe)... which means I am also trying to locate a couple more empties on Craigslist right now!
smiley24.gif

A post-script on the gravity filter though - you know, I even did that back and forth trick from the "how-to" section and I just thought there was more wine in it than it was giving me. I really did set the filter over a wine glass, where it stayed the whole time I was bottling. By the last bottle, that wine glass was almost overflowing! It was sort of like having someone slowly pour me a drink to enjoy at the end, but I was also thinking -hey! This filter's holding out on me!
smiley5.gif

Did you filter from the carboy to the bottle? I usually filter into another carboy and then fill the bottles. Or if I am feeling lazy save it for another day, cause I think I've mentioned I'm not fond of bottling.
smiley4.gif

VC

I filtered from the carboy into the bottling bucket (which is made from an old juice pail, so that might have been confusing). The lid on the bucket has a small hole in the center that fit the filter perfectly.

In the past I've filtered into another carboy, but in addition to wanting to save time I thought - this wine has been through enough!
smiley9.gif

Good job and great looking wine - hope your friends enjoy both the wine and your efforts in making it look so 'sparkley' for them.

rrawhide

ppp rules and wins everytime!!!

smiley32.gif
GOOD JOB BREWGIRL! Congrats on your nice, clean, crisp and oh yea CLEAR,VERYCLEAR wine! I hopeit tastes as refreshing as it looks!

Thanks! I will definitely be making more plumcot wine in the future. Even this young, it is smooth and easy-drinking like a plum wine but it has the fresh fruit nose of apricots.

Not sure if I will ever be using Sparkalloid again though... (although truthfully, it did compact the lees nicely when it settled, which make racking easier and I'm sure I got a little more wine out of the batch)

Okay... I used Sparkalloid again. It did a great job compacting the lees last time, so I just added it to two batches that I'd like to bottle in a couple of months.
smiley17.gif

How does Sparkalloidcompare to Super Kleer? I used Super Kleer for the first time a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how well it worked in just a few days. I still waited a week to let the lees settle a bit more before bottling.

Latest posts

Back