Dandelion Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sounding really nice.. I meant to ask you how many wines you have going at present?..Still doing the kit wines too?

Allie

I have one kit, my first, a Chianti bottled, should be ready to drink late July according the the instructions (RJS); the dandelion, and the tea so far. I'm researching what to start next; I'd like to make a dry red, checking out the shop nearest me this afternoon. They don't have any grape-skin kits, which sound good, but maybe I'll try adding oak chips, raisins or something to one of the ones they do have! Sounds like bananas add some richness to the flavor as well. Do they work in both whites and reds?
Also want to try a raspberry mead, if it ever stops raining and my berries get to ripen. My neighbors have bees and should have lots of honey available soon. They gave me some beeswax to use for ointments as well.
The tea wine is fermenting in a clear gallon jug; it's interesting to watch. Can I stir it, as the fruit and tea are rising to the top and some of the tea is above the liquid level? Seems like I'll lose their flavor that way, and they would mold or dry out. Don't think I can fit a plate in there to hold 'em down... Or just let it carry on? I know some beer yeasts top-ferment, some bottom-ferment; does wine always do one or the other?
Then I have a few more one-gallon jugs burning a metaphorical hole in my pocket, so who knows what will happen next!?!

I do stabilize my dandilion wines just like any other wine. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Pat juice jugs work great for small batch primary's. I have used them for yeast starter jugs when i have made apple or cranberry ales. I used the juice in the primary for a one gal test batch then use the jug for a yeast starter for a 15 or 20 gal batch of beer and recycle 2 or 3 times. Dont get caught up in all that high $$$$ equip. Glass and SS are great but there is nothing wrong with clean plastic.

Hi St Allie

I found this recipe online and got started with it. You say that a champagne yeast could be used. But how much? I have a little more than a gallon, it's 20 cups. Right now i'm on the first day of letting the dandelions steep. also, can i use something like lemon juice with the citric acid instead of yeast nutrient?

One fifth of it will be enough. The nutrient gives the yeast a bit of help.. so it doesn't struggle with the fermentation. Citric acid and lemon juice are pretty much interchangeable. If you don't have nutrient, go with what you have got..

nothing ventured.. nothing gained.

:h

Back