Dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsonlady50

Junior
Reaction score
My recipe that i am using for dandelion wine is asking for an 1/2 tsp anti-oxidant powder per gallon before bottling. I am unable to find this at our local wine making supply store....is there another name or substitute for this?????

Sound like Kmeta. I am not a fruit wine maker, but that sounds like a lot of Kmeta for one gallon.

I would think it would more likely be citric acid, which is used in wine as an anti-oxidant to keep fruit from browining and I think dandelion would be a candidate for it. You should be able to find that pretty easily, even at some groceries.

wilsonlady50, welcome to wine making talk, can you post the entire recipe, this will help up be certain what it is your looking for.

Citric acid is used to stop browning (oxidizing). It stops apples from browning when cut.

Kmeta = potassium metabisulphate = chemical used to stun wild yeast and kill bacterial Similar to NaMeta which is Sodium bisulphate - same use, just more sodium in the wine.

All 3 of these are readily available at most home brew shops.

Thanks all. I am trying the dandelion recipe from Jack Keller. This one doesnt have the Anti oxidant powder. It in place used lemons and oranges. I think i feel safer using this one.

Hello Wilsonlady50, You mention that you're a "greenhorn". I presume this means you're pretty new to wine making? Is there a reason you've chosen dandelion wine? The reason I ask is that it seems to be one of those wines that you need to have "an acquired taste" to really enjoy it. I've made it several times using different recipes and meticulous methods and few people enjoy them. Poor results can quickly turn eager winemakers into a former winemakers. There are a lot of other wines that are easier and tastier that I would recommend for beginners. (Just my opinion). Cheers, Lon

The recipie I am going to try says citric acid and looked through book and it says the juice of lemons can be used this is a first time for me at dandelion too and I suppose if you dont have a go and try it you wont know if you like it or not. Im waiting for the rain to stop and then I can pick some weather been miserable here in the UK.

As I am new to this too what wines would you recommend? Ive just bought pineapples to have a go at

Minnesotamaker is right, if you are new to winemaking you really should not make dandelion wine.

I would recomend making a mist kit, they are a fast drinker or a fruit wine from fruit or better yet juice. Also a real easy and quick wine is Welch's white grape frozen concentrate.

Hi Julie thanks I have been looking at recipes and seen the welches bit I live in the UK and not seen it here plus the recipie are all in us weights. What is mist wine?

Hi Julie thanks I have been looking at recipes and seen the welches bit I live in the UK and not seen it here plus the recipie are all in us weights. What is mist wine?
A Mist kit is a wine ingredient kit made in Canada. It has grape juice, all the ingredients needed, and a pack of flavored syrup that is added at the end. It makes a wine that is a low in alcohol and fruity tasting.

If you don't have access to wine ingredient kits, you could try making wine using frozen juice concentrate. Of if you have fresh fruit or juice, you could make a wine from grapes, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, plums, cherries, apples, or crab-apples. Those are a few of my favorites.

If you can get bottles of lemon juice, you can always make a batch of Skeeter Pee too. Most people who try it enjoy it and it's easy and inexpensive.

I have done a few country wine kits and strawberry,blackcherry and a savignon blanc. Currently making pineapple from fresh fruit but would like to do the concentrates have you any recipie?

I keep hearing about sneered pee to but its the measures again as our bottles are in mls

I keep hearing about sneered pee to but its the measures again as our bottles are in mls

You could still make Skeeter Pee, but you'll have to do some measurement conversion. Search the web for metric conversion calculator and you should be able to change the units in the recipe to whatever suits you best. The recipe is at www.skeeterpee.com

Back