D80 Taking Very Long To Ferment...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my first time using D80 yeast and it has been going almost 7 days and still not complete. I gave it some additional FermK this morning as we are hoping to press this weekend. Here are some details:

PH yesterday 3.75
Room temperature 72F
Must temp 81F
Co-inoculation with VP41

Should I warm up the room temperature to help speed things up?

Must.jpg

Interesting my D80 was slower on the Sangiovese/Cab grapes than on the Zin grapes it lagged by a day compared to the D254. My Sangiovese and cab grapes were better quality than the Zins for some reason the fermentation was slower and the temps stayed lower. My room temp for most of the fermentation was 73-74 at night it cooled down to 70. I don't think you need to raise the temp, just let it do its thing slowly as long as you got all you nutrients in these you should be good. personally longer on the skins is just better as long as you got the cap still forming.

That is pretty much what I was thinking... The ferment isn't stuck and still going nicely with a good cap, not lacking any nutrients.
My D254 on the same grapes (Cab/Sangiovese) is complete and moved faster than the D80.

My Zin with Avante was incredibly fast, only took 4 days!

Donz, Same experience for me D80 was slower and few degrees cooler, I think its all good, more contact time with skins more color, more flavor, for me it was 8 days to reach .99 on the san/cab D80 7 days for D254. Personally I don't like fast fermentation. Slow & steady makes me happy.

I have used D80 a couple times and found it was a slow but sure yeast. I think it took ~10 days to press from pitching the yeast.

You will also notice the taste is dry compared to the D254 which is more fruit tasting, which makes the blend so perfect. Have you tasted them yet? its really amazing how different the exact same grape tastes with the different yeast

I am in a similar situation now, I split my batches using d254 and d80 with the d80 fermenting much slower than the d254. I dosed with extra nutrients today with the hope of moving along. I’d like to press both this weekend if the d80 cooperates.

Mike - I haven't done any tasting yet but will do soon after we press. Really looking forward to it, I have heard such great things about the D254/D80 combo and how they really compliment/balance each other so nicely.

I did not add any additional nutrients, just the 2 scheduled shots of Fermk at the start of fermentation and than after 8 -10 brix drop, the D80 did take another 12 hour before the 8 brix drop than the D254. after that I made no more additions and it finish strong the last day.

Last season, due to timing, I pressed and barreled a Cab Franc that was still at 1 Brix. It eventually went dry while in the barrel.

Last season, due to timing, I pressed and barreled a Cab Franc that was still at 1 Brix. It eventually went dry while in the barrel.

Just curious, when you barrel a wine that's that young, still going through AF, do you need to rack the wine out of the barrel, clean it, and put the wine back in, or do you just let it roll? I usually wait several months after AF / MLF to let most of the sediment fall out before barreling, but have always wondered if I could go in earlier w/o having to rack / clean / replace...........

Just curious, when you barrel a wine that's that young, still going through AF, do you need to rack the wine out of the barrel, clean it, and put the wine back in, or do you just let it roll? I usually wait several months after AF / MLF to let most of the sediment fall out before barreling, but have always wondered if I could go in earlier w/o having to rack / clean / replace...........
Generally it's rare that we barrel during AF.....this was an exception and only 1 Brix to go. But our process is ferment fully outside the barrel then barrel everything and do MLF in the barrel with vented bungs. After MLF, we rack, usually November/December. Then another Spring racking and go the long haul until bottling.

Generally it's rare that we barrel during AF.....this was an exception and only 1 Brix to go. But our process is ferment fully outside the barrel then barrel everything and do MLF in the barrel with vented bungs. After MLF, we rack, usually November/December. Then another Spring racking and go the long haul until bottling.

For the first time I am barreling a wine prior to MLF for no reason but to try something different. I normally fully top a carboy because I wait 2-3 months before deciding MLF is complete no matter what the chromo indicates figuring near zero head space leaves little chance of oxidizing. In the barrel I'll just have to make sure I'm diligent about topping up.

You should taste now before the press, you will be surprised how good and different they taste.

Mike - did the taste before pressing. What a difference from the D254 to the D80. You we're spot on with the 254 being fruit forward/floral. The D80 completely different with big tannins and much less fruit.

I did this 80/254 combo before and my experiences are right in line with everything mentioned. The fruitiness of the 254 was noticeable right away. And the 80 was also slower to finish .
I kept em separate for about 6 months too further noting the differences. Then blended them in a barrel. That 80/254 Malbec (1.5yrs old) is easily my best wine to date and ready for the bottle.
Definitely will be doing this combo again.

Back