Cutting corners - can i save a few days in the process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffZ

Junior
Reaction score
I'm a newbie on my first Winexpert kit. Everything going well so far, except I didn't check my calendar.

I have to leave for London 2 days before I'm supposed to bottle. Can I bottle 12 days after Step 3 begins (stabilzing and clearing), instead of waiting 14 days. Or should I cut a day from the 10 days between Step 2-3 (Secondary fermentation to stabilizing) if the SG is o.k. Or can I leave it in the carboy past the 14 days and bottle after 19 days.

Or am I doomed and should check the calendar next time! Much thanks.

I agree with roger80465, leave it until you come back to bottle

To be more direct, most here would have you leave it in the carboy for 6 months to a year. (I tend to bottle after 3 months, however, to free up the carboy for another kit.) Go, enjoy London, and bottle after you get back.

I'm a newbie on my first Winexpert kit. Everything going well so far, except I didn't check my calendar.

I have to leave for London 2 days before I'm supposed to bottle. Can I bottle 12 days after Step 3 begins (stabilzing and clearing), instead of waiting 14 days. Or should I cut a day from the 10 days between Step 2-3 (Secondary fermentation to stabilizing) if the SG is o.k. Or can I leave it in the carboy past the 14 days and bottle after 19 days.

Or am I doomed and should check the calendar next time! Much thanks.

With a few of my Wineexpert kits I have elongated step 3, well past the recommended 14 days.
I have allowed a kit to sit during the clearing phase (step 3) for atleast a month before moving on.

Just top up with some kind of wine and leave it before you jump the pond!

JeffZ,

Just one last point...

My advice is to NEVER cut corners. Consider the time, money, work, and expectations you went through to get the wine to this point, only to cut a corner in the end?

Wine is an art form that should not be rushed.

Latest posts

Back