WineXpert Crushendo Castellina Supertuscan Di Siena

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick

Reaction score
Started the Crushendo Castellina Supertuscan Di Siena today
Selection Estate Series
Started 10/4/2008
SG 1.090
Temp 76F
Grape skins/pack added

web.jpg

Preparing the Castellina for the yeast, (Lambrusco in the background)

web.jpg

Crushendo Castellina Supertuscan Di Siena Must before fermentation

web.jpg

checkin temps for yeast, 76deg, perfect.

web.jpg

Stirred in the oak first b4 pitching yeast. Sprinkled yeast let it sit.

smiley9.gif
Edited by: Dominick

This is a great kit! I havent made 1 but have had the opportunity to taste a bottle from our former moderator and it was awesome!

I have done this kit and it is approaching two years old. It is absolutely awesome. I only bring this one out on special occasions!

I have it as well that I made the week it was released. I have yet to tap into a bottle yet but look forward to it very soon. I probably won't open one until about the time of the next Winestock though.

Just checked the SG again it is 1.010, I'll rack to secondary this weekend.

smiley2.gif

It looks and smells amazing, today i took a sample, you can smell hints of coffee and chocolate - Quality kit!

web.jpg

The first racking wasn't easy. Lots of oak, grape sediment to clog the filter.
My auto syphon took a crap the little clip at bottom broke, so had to use a tube along with the filter provided, attached filter to tube and syphoned.

The hard part is over
smiley1.gif
bah now i need a new auto syphon.

Sorry to hear about the auto siphon!
smiley13.gif
On the other hand the wine looks great.
smiley20.gif

Dominick,

Are you saying that the little 'check valve' inside is no longer stuck on the end of the tube or that it actually broke? The piece itself, when it comes out and speaking from experience, looks like a little disc with two pronged ends sticking up from it. If it just popped out, let me know and I'll tell you a way to get it back in. If it's broken, that's another story.

Having the sediment cover tip on the auto-siphon actually helps to inhibit the amount of flow that can be induced if you pump the siphon too hard. I ended up muscling the thing and sucked that little check valve right into the pipe a couple times before I learned to back off on the force and go smoothly.
- Jim

Yep Jim thats exactly what broke. One of the plastic prongs snapped off it. You hit the nail on the head.

I just used a tube and the supplied mesh filter, and syphoned manual.
My niece got a kick out of it and was laughing at me everytime i sucked up a bit of pulp or oak, she thought it was funny to see me wipe my tounge with a towel
smiley2.gif
hehe

But its over now and had a very good first racking, got most of the wine.
Few days have passed already and I can see the sediment at the bottom of the carboy. - Seems like this is gonna turn out really nice. I learned from my Nero batch to really degass alot when ready this way sediment wont fall in the bottles. - On my lambrusco batch, I degassed really good to make sure no sediment will fall in the bottles, and will make sure too degass this batch really good. It seems degassing is very important part of clearing. 10mins alone wont do, need to keep degassing as days go by.

Im learning ;pEdited by: Dominick

Racked this one today. Added the metabisulphite and sorbate, i didnt add the insinglass, i was thinking bulk age first, then when ready to bottle add the clairifiers, then rack again, then bottle.

If you bulk age long enough you wont need the fining agent, that is if you have the discipline. Most of the time I dont as I usually need the carboys.

yea ill just let this sit for 2 years, figure ill rack it in 1 year add some camdem then let it sit another year.

just checked this today, smells amazing.

im gonna need to top off as this ages in the carboy and i defintly dont want too add water too top off, what should I use to top this wine with?

Was thinking of using a bottle of Nero d'avola. What do ya think?

I'm late getting to this. What did you top off with Dom?
I would think a Chianti a good one to top with too. It is a little drier to my taste than the NdA and it is more likely to be a wine similar to what you are making.

Jack I was thinking Chianti but decided to user Nero d'Avola.
I used 2 bottles ofthe Nerothat I made to top off and its been aging in the carboy. I did not use any clairifiers, im just letting it age down in the cellar. - Cant wait to try it it smells really good. Edited by: Dominick

Hey all... just bottled the Castellina up from last year.
I did not use any clarifiers. I bulk aged in a pitch black cold cellar till now.
Dissolved the proper amount of camden tablets before bottling the wine.

Looking good, smelling good, tasting good.
Going to age it till next summer in the bottles now.

Just created my labels and got them printed out here it is:

web.jpg

Latest posts

Back