Smurfe’s Wine Kit Tutorial (Part 1)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I got home today and found a couple presents under the carport. My January shipment of Wine Expert Limited Edition Kits had arrived. This month the treats were <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:pLACE w:st="on"><ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">CHILEAN</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACENAME w:st="on">MAIPO</ST1:pLACENAME> <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">VALLEY</ST1:pLACE></ST1:pLACE> CARMENÈRE/CABERNET SAUVIGNON and CALIFORNIA LAKE COUNTY TRIO BLANCA
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
WineTutorialPics008.jpg

After a 10 minute brainstorming session with myself. I decided that I would start the Trio Blanca first. I only have one primary (for the moment) so I had to choose. I have made quite a few reds lately so I went with the white.
I though I would throw together a little tutorial while I was at it. I actually typed all this out twice but when I went to spell check the first draft it disappeared and I lost about 2 hours of work. So this one is typed in word and pasted in to the text box. This forum really needs vBulletin forum software!
So let’s get started. Look at your packages for any damage. If you ordered from George, there is little chance for any as he is a packaging genius. If there IS any damage, it was from the shipper. If all that looks good it is time to pull the big old box out from all those Styrofoam peanuts.
Ok, you have it out let’s open the box and see whets inside. Look for a plastic bag with the ingredients in it.
WineTutorialPics010.jpg

Open that bag and remove the directions, Read these directions thoroughly NOW before you go any further. Read the entire document Now, I am not joking, read it all.
WineTutorialPics034.jpg

As I was reading, I realized I didn’t read, speak or write French. SO turn the directions over and you have English to read!
WineTutorialPics047.jpg

WineTutorialPics048.jpg

Have you read all those directions? Make sure you do. With this kit and every other one you do. They can change and each variety can be different so don’t take that chance, Take a few minutes and read.
Look at the top flap of the box. See the little peel off label? Peel that off and save it. I stick mine on the directions page. This is your kit identifier code. It tells when the kit was made as well as other information. If you have any problems with your kit, you will need this code so SAVE IT!
WineTutorialPics072.jpg

OK, first thing we need to do is gather our equipment to make our wine. What do we need to gather? Read those directions and it will tell you. You need your primary bucket, sanitizer, a hydrometer, thermometer, Wine Thief, measuring cup, and a stirring device.
WineTutorialPics034.jpg

I have gathered my primary fermentation equipment and have sanitized it. I use a no rinse One Step sanitizer. One note on sanitation. It is essential that your stuff be kept clean. We are not talking a living in a plastic bubble sterile environment but just keep stuff clean. Clean before you use it and when you are done and again the next time you use it, so on and so on. If you practice good cleanliness skill you should never have an issue. Here is my sanitized equipment ready to go.
WineTutorialPics017.jpg

Ok, let’s make some wine. Take that sanitized primary bucket and add a couple quarts or liters of hot water. Open packet 1 (Bentonite) and slowly sprinkle it to the liquid as you stir to prevent any clumps from forming.
While we are talking stirring here, lets cover this a little bit. We will be stirring a lot and I mean a WHOLE lot. Many purchase their equipment in a kit. Most kits come with a stirring spoon.
WineTutorialPics036.jpg

Do yourself a favor if you can afford it and buy a premium kit that has a Mix-Stir device in it. These premier kits are not really premier. I consider them essential pieces of equipment. This is what you really need to stir with.
WineTutorialPics037.jpg

So let’s get back to winemaking. As you sprinkle that packet #1 in, stir away.
WineTutorialPics038.jpg

Remember, Spoon Bad!
WineTutorialPics052.jpg

Mix-Stir Good!
WineTutorialPics053.jpg

Sir this for at least 30 seconds to assure proper dispersement and that there are no clumps of Bentonite in the bucket.
Now let’s look at that big box that has that big bag of juice in it. It is pretty heavy huh? How we going to safely pour that in our bucket? Let look a little closer to the box, see the punch out areas on the flaps on top? Punch them out along with the hand hold area on the bottom of the box.
WineTutorialPics019.jpg

WineTutorialPics020.jpg

WineTutorialPics021.jpg

Now, grab the neck of that bag and pull it through the hole you punched out
WineTutorialPics022.jpg

See the grooves in the neck? Slide then into the slot you punched out of the flap to secure the neck
WineTutorialPics023.jpg

And close the flaps around it
WineTutorialPics024.jpg

Now, notice that nice little Yellow cap. It looks easy enough to pop off there huh? Give it a try. Can’t get it off huh? Harder than it looks? Yes, it is, they are a real pain to get off without sloshing juice all over you wine making area. How do you get this off? Well, you need this.
WineTutorialPics031.jpg

I don’t know why they don’t include this spanner with every kit. It is needed and should be in each kit. The labels should be as well but that is another story. So anyway, we need to pop this baby open. Move that box by your primary and let’s get at it. Remember, that box is heavy so lift safely; we don’t want any gimpy Vintners around here.
When you have your box in place, take that Spanner and place it on the cap
WineTutorialPics039.jpg

WineTutorialPics033.jpg

And POP that baby off there!
WineTutorialPics040.jpg

WineTutorialPics041.jpg

Good job! That was pretty easy wasn’t it? Now, safely pick that box up by the punched our hand holds in the top flap and the bottom of the box
WineTutorialPics042.jpg

And Lets Pour! Be careful; don’t splash it all over the place!
WineTutorialPics043.jpg

WineTutorialPics045.jpg

WineTutorialPics044.jpg

Add a little hot water to that juice bag and give it a good shake to get all of the goodness out of it. Pour this in the bucket. The instructions say add a gallon to the juice bag but I normally add maybe a quart. I do this because I use as little as possible of my tap water as I have a well. I could boil the water but I don’t but you may wish to.
WineTutorialPics046.jpg

Now, it is time to fill to the proper level with water. Notice this kit pretty well filled my bucket up. You fill to that line.
WineTutorialPics050.jpg

WineTutorialPics049.jpg

WineTutorialPics051.jpg

Ok, we are at the full mark. Make sure you fill to 6 gallons, no more, no less. This juice is concentrated to this level. If you think adding less water will make better wine, think again. It will throw the chemistry off and produce an off product. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! You did read them right?
Now we stir. Remember what I said about stirring? Well, we need to stir like hell for at least 30 seconds to get this Must mixed all up. The juice is now referred to as the “Must” so that’s what we will call it from now on.
Ok, now we get to use some of our other cool toys. It is time to check the SG (Specific Gravity). Take your sanitized hydrometer and either drop it in the bucket or draw a sample with your sanitized Wine Thief and drop the hydrometer in it. Give the hydrometer a little spin while dropping it for a more accurate reading.
What does it say? What is it supposed to read? Look in your directions. It will tell you. This kit was to read between 1.085 and 1.095. My reading was 1.090 so we are perfect. So you aren’t confused, you may believe the reading was 0.090 but if you look at the top of the Hydrometer you will see the 1.0 mark. All the numbers below are above this level so the 0.090 mark below the 1.0 level is actually 1.090. As the SG drops, the hydrometer will as well until the 1.0 level is below the surface of the Must.
WineTutorialPics054.jpg

WineTutorialPics055.jpg

Now, drain the must back into the bucket
WineTutorialPics056.jpg

Now it is time to add Oak if your kit came with it. Most whites don’t have oak but this one does. Open the packet and sprinkle it into the Must. Time to stir again!
WineTutorialPics052.jpg

WineTutorialPics053.jpg

Once you have stirred the oak chips into the must, pull out your thermometer and let’s check the temperature. It needs to be between 65F and 75F for the yeast to have the proper environment to multiply and begin fermentation. Too cold and the yeast can’t get going, too warm and the yeast will burn themselves out and die off before fermentation is complete. You ferment to a particular SG reading so if you don’t reach that level, the wine will not be correct. SO let’s check that temp!
WineTutorialPics058.jpg

WineTutorialPics059.jpg

Wow, it was on the money! 70F So let’s add the yeast!
WineTutorialPics064.jpg

WineTutorialPics065.jpg

WineTutorialPics066.jpg

OK, now, if you have read the directions (You did correct?) you know that you WILL NOT STIR THE YEAST IN!
WineTutorialPics067.jpg

So kit brands say to stir the yeast in, some don’t. Wine Expert Don’t! I made a couple Cellar Craft kits and they said you could if you wanted, I didn’t and it didn’t hurt a thing.
Ok, we have our yeast pitched so now what? Well, we are about done with part 1. It is now time to cover the primary. This will be personal choice. You will hear many ways to do this. Some will snap the lid on and throw in an airlock, some will just lay the lid on top and others may cover with a towel or the like held in place by a rubber band.
It is all personal choice. The thought is that the yeast needs oxygen to multiply and get working. If you stirred the Must well you have entered enough oxygen into the must to support the yeast. I personally snap the lid on and throw in an airlock with sanitizer in it.
WineTutorialPics068.jpg

WineTutorialPics069.jpg

Well, that’s about it for the Primary Fermentation Portion of this tutorial. As the kit progresses, we will add the part 2 portion and so on and so on. Tuneback in 5-7 daysfor the further adventures of Vintners here at Fine Vine Wines as we will go to Step 2, Secondary Fermentation!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Edited by: smurfe

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Awesome pictoral Smurf...only detected one small glitch though podner...Did not see any pictures of you tasting the must..I know you did taste it but you forgot to include that picture didnt ya

So that's what a Smurfe looks like! You have your green Smurfe shirt on, I
see.
smiley36.gif

Great presentation Steve - I appreciate how much time and thought you
put into it.

I hope my kits (arriving tomorrow with luck) will be half as warm as your's
when FedEx show up.
smiley18.gif

Bill

Hi There Mr. Waldo You posted pictures of grape juice in plastic bottles. I was wondering how many bottles did you use to make 6 gallons.I would like your recipe too if you wanna share it.

Thanks Harry

YAY!!!

Way to go Smurf!
smiley32.gif

What have I learned from this tutorial? Spoon bad, Mix-stir-electro-thing good!

smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Excellent Job Smurfe!
smiley32.gif
I know the time it takes to put that together and it is greatly appreciated.

I have copied and posted in the "read only" topic for safe keeping.

Steve, Great tutorial!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
, A beginners must see! I book marked it and am going to email it to several friends (Along with FVW toy store web site). Friends seem to think it's hard to make these kits and your tutorial really shows how easy and fun it can be, while maintaining the true exactness of the art. Good job!

Waldo said:
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Awesome pictoral Smurf...only detected one small glitch though podner...Did not see any pictures of you tasting the must..I know you did taste it but you forgot to include that picture didnt ya

Well Waldo, actually I don't taste the Must as believe it or not, I don't like Grape Juice. I think it evolves back to when I was a kid. We never got Coke or anything like that. The only thing we ever got to drink besides water was Grape Kool-Aid. I love grapes but can't stand grape juice. I think that is the reason I don't like sweet grape wines.

And thank you for the compliment
smiley9.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

bilbo-in-maine said:
So that's what a Smurfe looks like! You have your green Smurfe shirt on, I
see.
smiley36.gif

Great presentation Steve - I appreciate how much time and thought you
put into it.

I hope my kits (arriving tomorrow with luck) will be half as warm as your's
when FedEx show up.
smiley18.gif

Bill

Thanks Bill, if you pay for them, you get them quicker
smiley36.gif

Actually, I had a much better presentation all completed and for some reason when I went to copy the text to place in Word to format and spell check, it disappeared and wouldn't paste. I was devastated, I had spent like 2-3 hours on it. So I started over and threw this one together in about an hour. The first one was actually much more detailed and had more pictures. Thanks for the compliment. I had fun making it.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

jobe05 said:
Steve, Great tutorial!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
, A beginners must see! I book marked it and am going to email it to several friends (Along with FVW toy store web site). Friends seem to think it's hard to make these kits and your tutorial really shows how easy and fun it can be, while maintaining the true exactness of the art. Good job!

Thanks for the compliment. I was wanting to show just that. It IS easy and it IS fun. I think when I start my next kit, I will create another one that is more structured and detailed. You can never have enough tutorials. Even on the same subject such as kit making as we all have various styles and tips that we can learn from.

I am hoping Martina or for that matter any of our memberswill throw a tutorial of her (their)process here for us to see the fine art of wine making by hand without the assistance of a kit. (HINT, HINT, HINT) I am starting to collect my stuff to switch over to this process so I am ready to start absorbing knowledge in that side of wine making.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

Never made a kit wine before. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words!" Great idea to take us thru the whole process
smiley20.gif

I'll be referring back to this post when I start my first kit!

Thanks,

Pat

pkcook said:
Smurfe,

Never made a kit wine before. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words!" Great idea to take us thru the whole process
smiley20.gif

I'll be referring back to this post when I start my first kit!

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks for the compliment Pat. I hope to produce an even better tutorial real soon in even greater details. I love to make wine and I love to teach classes so it is a natural for me, course I always taught EMS classes but this is turning out even more fun. Look for more to come real soon.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

Very impressive!
smiley20.gif
That is quite the detailed, and humorous, step-by-step! Thanks for putting it together and sharing!

Smurff.... Thankyou for introducing me to "the spanner". I just knew there had to be an easier way to get the lid/stopper off of the bag of must. Bet it costs under $5.00 too.

You are a natural teacher, clear step by step instructions presented in a humorious manner.
smiley20.gif

JC

jcnoren said:
Smurff.... Thankyou for introducing me to "the spanner". I just knew there had to be an easier way to get the lid/stopper off of the bag of must. Bet it costs under $5.00 too.

You are a natural teacher, clear step by step instructions presented in a humorious manner.
smiley20.gif

JC

I tell ya, the first couple kits I made, I had a heck of a time getting the caps off. After I got this tool, they pop right off with no effort. A quadriplegic could get those caps off with that tool. I don't know if George has them in his catalog but if he does, he needs to promote them!
smiley36.gif
Thanks for the compliment
smiley1.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
I tell ya, the first couple kits I made, I had a heck of a time getting the caps off. After I got this tool, they pop right off with no effort. A quadriplegic could get those caps off with that tool. I don't know if George has them in his catalog but if he does, he needs to promote them!
smiley36.gif
Thanks for the compliment
smiley1.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

He does:

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=9989

"I love to teach so it is a natural for me, course I always taught EMS classes"

Next class all you have to do is bring a stretcher home with you, set up in you kitchen, use it as your tableand you'll feel right at home
smiley36.gif
Edited by: jobe05

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>Bon travailsSmurfe,
smiley32.gif

Now I don't needto explain my friends at work,how to make wine from wine kit. I just have to send them this link.

Thanks, well appreciate
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back