WineXpert Waldo's Lodi Ranch II Cabarnet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wade...A couple of the bottles went to a true wine snob and he is going to do some tasting notes on them for me. Will be interesting to see what his comments will be.

Waldo...Outstanding great post just finished reading them all...Great Job!!

FirstI must clarify that the term "wine snob" was not used in any derogratory intent. I usethat term for those who have a deep love and appreciation for fine wines so, having said that, he advised that it was much too young to make a good evaluation but that he thought it had a really nice nose to be so young, was a bit weak on the tanninsbut felt that would improve with age.His tasting notes included an earthy and dark berry flavor with a hint of spices and dark chocolate. He did say he would love to try another bottle in about 8-10 months to see how it had improved.

Waldo...the trick will be having a bottle around in 8 - 10 months! Keep us posted as to the outcome. I'm a cab lover and I'm looking for the next kit to make, hence the curiosity.

Yeah, I guess it is a little young!
smiley36.gif
Im suprised you didnt bulk age it and tell him he just has to wait!

Waldo, you have done a good thing posting this thread for us newbies. I
have checked it several times since my first kit, started March 4, was
the WE Lodi Zin. It is now bulk aging. I started the WE Cab later and
it is in secondary now. Degassing and stabilizing tonight I think (If I
don't go fishing...), so all of the info has been helpful. Even the
wine room info was helpful! I am working on mine now. Have a little
rock to remove so it isn't a trivial matter!

Please keep us posted on how your Cab is doing, Thanks,

Thank You Jack. Glad you have found it helpful. The target date for the next tasting on the cab is July 1st so stay tuned

Thanks for the "dialog" of your making this batch of wine. As a newbie, who is going to make my first batch, it will help quite a bit to know what some of the steps will look like.

As i am a Cab fan, i was thinkning about this kit as my first one.

I talked to the recepient of this batch today and to date he is holding fast and letting it age before he opens another bottle.

Waldo, You do some great posts with pics and explanations. I have heard about using a drill to stir. Where do you buy one of those attachments? What's the advantage of that over just stirring it?
Also, am wondering how important it is to degas? Won't bulk aging allow that to happen, also and so it becomes a way of speeding up the time to bottle? Or do I have that wrong?

I made this kit earlier in the spring and bottled it about two months ago. I also made the Lodi Zin during that same period and bottled it at the same time. I am trying to be patient to wait for 6 months to try it.
smiley1.gif

laney, George carries the fizz-x stirrers and I would definately recommend you get one. In not only degassing but in stirring musts prior to initial fermentation they do a more thorough job than manual stirring and a helluva lot quicker and easier. As for the importance of degassing. Without it, your wines will never clear properly and will always have that gassy, fizzy taste. Not to mention the chance of the bottles blowing up on you if you bottle it without degasasing
I will have to say though my preferred method of degassing now is with the vaccu vin
vacuvindegassing1.jpg

vacuvindegassing.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, I too am a vinuvac fan now. Sanitizing equipment is much easier with that than the drill equipment. And the whole operation is neater.

Hi Waldo, Thanks for the reply.
smiley1.gif

It sounds like the fizz-x stirrer helps with degassing but that you also use the vaccu vin finishes it off.

In looking at George's website, I see another degassingstirrer called "The Whip - Wine Degasser". Do you have any experience or knowledge of the differences or which one would be better to order?

I am not too familiar with the vacuvin (only see friends have one) and am wondering if there is a special attachment for vacuvin to the carboy universal cap. How long (i.e. how many pump strokes) do you have to degas with this?I have read about carboys imploding and am wondering if that's a concern or if it's impossible with this size of pump. Do you just do it at bulkaging time?

Thanks again for helping me on this since I have noticed the PinotNoir that I bottled last December still has that fizz when I open a bottle and I'd like to correct this problem.

Sorry, I forgot one question: Does George sell the vacuvin and attachments (if you use one)?
Thanks, again.

Back