WineXpert Waldo's Lodi Ranch II Cabarnet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laney, get the mix stir as the whip will break very quickly and is ot balanced well for a drill either and wear out the inner bearings of a drill.

laneygirl said:
Hi Waldo, Thanks for the reply.
smiley1.gif

It sounds like the fizz-x stirrer helps with degassing but that you also use the vaccu vin finishes it off.

In looking at George's website, I see another degassingstirrer called "The Whip - Wine Degasser". Do you have any experience or knowledge of the differences or which one would be better to order?

I am not too familiar with the vacuvin (only see friends have one) and am wondering if there is a special attachment for vacuvin to the carboy universal cap. How long (i.e. how many pump strokes) do you have to degas with this?I have read about carboys imploding and am wondering if that's a concern or if it's impossible with this size of pump. Do you just do it at bulkaging time?

Thanks again for helping me on this since I have noticed the PinotNoir that I bottled last December still has that fizz when I open a bottle and I'd like to correct this problem.

Thanks dfw and wade for helping out here with some of the questions. As wade said, I would stay away from the wine whip. For degassing with the vacu vin. I have found it to be the most effective method for me this far. YOu cannot pull enough vacum with it to implode a carboy so dont be concerned in that area. My techinque is to pump it untilI get a good rush of foaming then I let it set for a while( 20-30 min) and then give it another good pumping. The foaming will subside as the wine is degassed and once you quit seeing the small, fizzy bubblesand begin getting bigger bubbles you are done

Thanks to DFW, Wade and Waldo for all the help on the degassing aspect of wine making. You are all very helpful. I have been a homebrewer of beer for over 10 years and this is quite a different kind of aspect to this craft that I need to perfect. I'll be getting the necessary equipment to do this.
So, to conclude on necessary steps:
1) Whip at initial fermentation in primary
2) Transfer to secondary and whipwith Fizz-X anddegas with vacuvin
3) At clarification and stabiliation, whip and degas again
4) At transfer to bulk storage, whip and degas again.

Is that correct?

Lets redo them just a tad laneygirl.
1.Prior to beginning fermentation you want your must mixed really well. Especially if it is a kit wine that requires adding water. Remember, this is done before you pitch your yeast. After yeast has been pitched, stirring is not required.
2. Transfer to secondary to complete fermentation. Do not whip your wine at this time. It is being very good and fermenting as it should. No need to punish it at this point.
3. Once fermentation has ended you want to degass your wine before before you begin clearing. Whether you use the stirrer or vacu vin you want to do a good job of degassing so your wine will clear properly. Make sure it is degassed before you add your clarifier.
4. No further degassing is required if done properly in step 3. A way to test step 3 is to draw off a sample into a bottle. With a well sanitized thumb over the opening,shake it up good and then release your thumb and see if you get the fizzing sound. If you do, you still have gas and further stirrring/vacuming is needed.Edited by: Waldo

Hi Waldo,

Thanks for the clarification on how/when to degas. I got the universal carboy cap and vacuvin today. I decided to try the techniqueon a kit that has been bulk aging for 6 weeks.

I santized all partsand put them on the carboy and pumped. It sounded like a vacume was being created since it was sort of hissing while I did this. No gas bubbles surfaced or came up the side of the carboy. I think I'll try your step 4 and see what happens. I might be ready to bottle that one.

It's the 2007 WineExpert Limited Edition Australian Grenache/Mourverde that I got as a close out at the end of the summer. It tasted great going into that bulk aging carboy and am excited to get it aging in the bottle...the sooner to drink it.
smiley20.gif

Sounds like you may be bottling soon laney.....Have any picturs of it..we do like picture you know
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, I have been reading your threads on the vacuvin with Laneygirl.

My IM White Zin should be ready to bottle next Fri. (Cross your fingers)
Now I am concerned if I degassed enough. I am thinking of getting the vacuvin from George. Is this a step to ensure the degassing process was complete after using the stirring with the drill?

Also, my Mezza Luna Red will be ready for stabilizing and clearing next week, should I bulk age this or bottle when the directions tell me too?
uavwmn

Do the test I suggested to laney uav, draw off a small amount and give it teh shake test. If it still has gas the vacuvin works great degassing. There may be better methods but for me, I like the results the vacuvin gives.
As for bulk aging Mezz, I would recommend it personally. There are several schools of thoughts on bulk aging but I personally would recommend it for any wine. If for no other reason it keeps you from drinking it too early.

I've been thinking about posting pictures...how do you do it? I can't see where to upload pictures?

How long do you bulk age, Waldo?

Laney, you have to use the reply button at the right side of the post that you are reading and then click on a tree looking icon at the top of that new post box. You may have to resize a picture to make the properties of that picture under 150KB. Since Im no computer wixard and can never figure out how to post a link, copy the below link and paste it into your web bar and download the image resizing tool and use that if you dont have a tool to do that already. It is a great tool esoecially for sending pics via email as the quality stays the same but the speed for sending will be greatly increased and you wont have problems posting them here. There is a tutorial under how to tutorials to help also.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Edited by: wade

Hi Wade,

I just saw your reply to my question about how to upload pictures. Thanks for the info and link. I'll try it out tomorrow after I take a few shots and do the resizing using that tool. I have never done that before so it'll be good to figure it out.

I just downloaded the Image Resizing executable and got it installed. I also tried it on a picture and it works great to shrink it to the >150K size.

Thanks, again for the instruction and tips.
smiley20.gif

Waldo,

Just wanted to bump this topic to see if there have been any recent tastings onyour Lodi Ranch II Cab. The wife surprised me for Christmas and ordered this kit from George.

Just got it in the Primary last night, and I have to tell you...I am really excited about this one. I'm going to try my best to not touch it for at least one year. I may bottle a few 375ml bottles just to taste periodically. This could be a fun way to see how it will develop over a year or two.

A great plan winenewbie..have been no further testings recently but..."stand By"

Waldo,

As a newbie getting ready to make a cab kit, I'm wondering if you can give any updates on how this turned out?

wjwid said:
Waldo,

As a newbie getting ready to make a cab kit, I'm wondering if you can give any updates on how this turned out?

It was an excellent kit and has aged very well and continues to improve. I think it will peak in about another year according to feedback from my friend I made this for.

Thanks. I'm starting the Sonoma V alley Cab kit this week. Sounds like patience is key.

Latest posts

Back