WineXpert Waldo's Lodi Ranch II Cabarnet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I started the Wine Expert Estate Series Lodi Ranch II Cabarnet Sauvignon this evening.

DSCN0001-6.jpg

My task began by cleaning & sanitizing my Primary Fermenter and all the other equipment I planned to use in starting this kit.

After I completed this task I opened the kit and checked all the items to make sure everything that was supposed to be included was there.

DSCN0006-6.jpg

I then removed the label from the kit box and affixed it to the instruction pamplet just in case I run into a problem WE will need that number.

DSCN0003-7.jpg

I was a little surprised that the kit actually contained 4 packs of oak ( two of chips and two of powder). This illicited a quick call to George because my thinking was that I could choose between the two as to which to addd to the kit....."WRONG"..George told me that all 4 go in this kit and I may even want to add more later. This being my first Cab I was unaware they had that much oak.

My next step was to add the prescribed amount of hot water to my fermenter and then sprinkle the bentonite in and stir it well, ensuring I left no clumps.

This proved to be quite a "stirring" experience using my stirring spoon. It was stubborn but I prevailed

DSCN0008-5.jpg

My next step was to pour them juices from the bag into my fermenter which went without a hitch or nary a splash onto Mama's counter. I filled the juice bag about 1/4 full of warm water, shaking it up good to extract all the juice I could from the bag and added this to my fermenter.

DSCN0010-2.jpg

Using my fizz-x and drill I gave the must a good thorough ( about 5 minutes total) stirring.

DSCN0011-3.jpg

Drawing a sample, I checked my SG and it was at 1.096 which was within the acceptable 1.080 to 1.100 range since my must temp was right at 80 degrees.

DSCN0012-3.jpg

I began adding the two packets of oak powder, stirring with my fizz-x as I added. I got both packs in and kept stirring. I didn't seem to be making much progress in getting the oak powder under the surface

DSCN0013-4.jpg

so I tried raising my stirrer just up to the surface.oopsss..too high...now the counter top has just a few drops of must and oak powder on it. I kept the stirrer just below the surface and it worked great in getting the powder under the surface.

DSCN0014-3.jpg

Using the same steps I added the two packets of oak chips.Getting all the oak stirred in well,

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

I then took a piece of paper towel, dipped in sanitizer and cleaned the rim of my fermenter. Probably not a necessary step but I am anal about doing it myself.

DSCN0020-1.jpg

My must is now ready to pitch the yeast but as you cansee, the temp is still at 80 degrees which would probably be ok

DSCN0023-1.jpg

I let it cool down to about 76 degrees and then pitched the Bourgovin RC 212 yeast which is one I have neverused.

DSCN0024-1.jpg

My last step for the evening was to gather the remaining items, put them back in the zip loc bag and store them away until needed.

DSCN0021.jpg

Will keep this updated as the process continues.

Edited by: Waldo

Looks good Waldo, but your right, thats a lot of oak! Love the color of the juice. I would be interested to see how this turns out for you, I'd like to do a red like this soon.

jobe05 said:
Looks good Waldo, but your right, thats a lot of oak! Love the color of the juice. I would be interested to see how this turns out for you, I'd like to do a red like this soon.
I am actually making this one for a friend of mine jobe but as I was making it up, after tasting the must I had visions of getting another one, adding a 960z can of Black Currant, 5 lbs of sugarand about 2 lbs of elderberries and pitching a Montcharet to it
smiley4.gif

Waldo said:
jobe05 said:
I am actually making this one for a friend of mine jobe but as I was making it up, after tasting the must I had visions of getting another one, adding a 960z can of Black Currant, 5 lbs of sugarand about 2 lbs of elderberries and pitching a Montcharet to it
smiley4.gif

Now that sounds interesting! and sounds very good. I don't think I have ever given anythought to adding fresh fruit to a kit wine...... HHhhmmmmm..........

20070316_194648_mike_roberts_ca.JPG

Got them ole wheels a turning now dont ya buddy hehehehe
Here is the label that will go on his wine. Haven't designed one yet for my share.
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, looks great!!! Thanks for the pictures and please keep us posted.

WOW!!! That looks good Waldo....Nice pix.

Your probably going to have everyone watching this one...

Anxious to see how oaky this one gets...might start adding the oak to the primary like you did.

Also...wanting to see how much foam you get...I did a Chokecherry last week and got over 6 inches of foam on the primaries...
smiley3.gif
Was glad I divided it up into two primaries.

This week I mixed up a Crabapple/Apple and used EC-1118, it hardly foamed at all...Yeasts sure have different activity levels..

Waldo,

Question about your thermometer. It appears to be slapped right through the plastic of the fermentation bucket. Is that true?

- Jim

Waldo,

Do you have a wine cellar? I know you have quite a collection by now.

Nice pictures. Show us where you store your wines. If I didn't miss it on another thread.

Ramona

I started this kit a couple of months ago.. I tried my first bottle at 1 month of aging just to see where it was going. I must tell you that I was pretty impressed. Cant imagine at 1 year..

Good work Waldo
smiley2.gif

JimCook said:
Waldo,

Question about your thermometer. It appears to be slapped right through the plastic of the fermentation bucket. Is that true?

- Jim

It is inserted in the grommet hole where the airlock would typically go Jim

Have a good active fermentation underway and The aroma of this kit is absolutely awesome.
cabfermenting.jpg

Northern Winos said:
WOW!!! That looks good Waldo....Nice pix.

Your probably going to have everyone watching this one...

Anxious to see how oaky this one gets...might start adding the oak to the primary like you did.

Also...wanting to see how much foam you get...I did a Chokecherry last week and got over 6 inches of foam on the primaries...
smiley3.gif
Was glad I divided it up into two primaries.

This week I mixed up a Crabapple/Apple and used EC-1118, it hardly foamed at all...Yeasts sure have different activity levels..

That they do NW. This is my first experience with this particular yeast but initially it has a wonderful aroma and does not appear to be a really heavy foamer right now but the fermentation just got started so time will tell.

rgecaprock said:
Waldo,

Do you have a wine cellar? I know you have quite a collection by now.

Nice pictures. Show us where you store your wines. If I didn't miss it on another thread.

Ramona

At the moment I do not Ramona. I am storing in cases in the house but I did grab my camera and run out to take a couple of pictures of where my wine cellar will be very soon.
I have a storm cellar in my back yard
cellar.jpg

and my plans are to frame in the back wall with cypress, insulate it well
and here is where my wines will be stored. I am checking tems and humidity levels right now and will then check them again after I get it framed in and insulated.
cellar2.jpg

May not be the best cellar but I think it will suffice for me.

Waldo,

Is that your tornado shelter? Can't think of a better place to be during a storm espically if the walls are lined with wine!!!!
smiley20.gif

Ramona

Edited by: rgecaprock

Latest posts

Back