RJ Spagnols Cru Select Voignier/Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinman56

Reaction score
This is my ~15th kit, and I make a couple, three batches of fruit wines every year. I tested the pH of this kit, although my pH meter was acting up. I calibrated with tartaric acid, and thought I had it compensated, but I ended up adding about 1 tbsp of tartaric and 1/2 tbsp of blend to get it down off the 3.8 cliff. I ran out of blue stuff for the cheap TA kit, which I can't find online anywhere, so I'm in the process of gearing up for better TA measuring. Meanwhile, while it was fermenting, I upgraded my pH meter, and I just measured it at 3.05.

Hate to add Potassium Carbonate, it's down around 1.1 SG now. Would a little fruit, apricots or white raisins, some additional sugar, or some oak chips soften the acidity a little? Not used to going in this direction....

i

Generally speaking, it is not necessary to dabble with the PH of a kit. Is this something that you have done with the previous kits?

The sg is down to 1.100?? What did it start at, and how long did it take?

Steve

Yea, I know that's usually the case, I always check 'em anyway, and was surprised to see the pH on this one so high, which is why I messed with it. Now I know my measuring tools were inadequate. Starting gravity was 1.090, and it went from that to 1.01 in about 7 days on Vintner's Harvest AW4 yeast at ~65F. I did read about cold storage to get some of the Tartaric crystals to drop out, since it's winter in Maine I might try that.

Latest posts

Back