Other Cru Select how long to Oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
I placed cubes in secondary ferm, its time to rack do I keep them in there? I am going to age in the carboy for 3 months.

I placed cubes in secondary ferm, its time to rack do I keep them in there? I am going to age in the carboy for 3 months.

Did the instructions say to put oak in secondary?

If after coming out of secondary and the oak level is not high enough, if there is still some oak to be released by your oak source, you can rinse off the oak and put it in while bulk aging. Just taste it once every few weeks. If oaking stops, put in some fresh oak chips/cubes.

It did say place in the secondary, looking for advice should I bulk with the cubes? They are just the cubes that came with the kit. They have been in there for 14 days.

Tarpon, it is a matter of taste. How much oak do you like in your wine? I like a decent oak taste so I leave cubes in about 8 weeks minimum. However, I usually have the wine cleared before adding the oak so it is out of secondary and has fermented to dry.

Tarpon230....

which Cru Select kit included cubes? The only one I knew of was the Shiraz Viognier and it doesn't seem to be on their web-site anymore. [BOO HISS...I liked that kit.]]

Steve

The last time I made this kit I only had the cubes in for 2 weeks and the wine turned out good (reused the cubes for another kit after that); the time before I think I had them in for about a month and the wine was good then also. The cubes usually contribute oakiness for about 6 weeks or so. As was advised, you can keep them in and taste until you think you have enough oak - I don't think you can overoak with the supplied oak, but it is still a personal preference.
The cubes can be reused if you don't keep them in this wine for the full time - just rinse them good and put in the freezer.

It is the Cru Select California Pinot Noir 4.23 us gal
I haven't made this kit, but it's one I have thought about. Did not know that it came with oak cubes, as some Pinot Noir kits do not include any oak.

The online instructions for this kit are the standard Cru Select instructions from 2006 that call for all of the oak to be added in the primary.

If the instructions called for the oak in the secondary that is a change for RJ Spagnols.

Oh well, maybe I'll make this kit one day.

Steve

Dugger, how long did you age this kit? Bulk age? Just checking

Checked back through my notes:
2006 - started Jan 11, bottled March 4
2007 - started Feb 12, bottled March 30
2009 - started Aug 23, bottled Jan 14/10
The first 2 were not aged at all in the carboy, the third for about 3 months. I can't say that any one was better than the others. I started drinking them all early, 3-6 months, but the ones I held onto for 2 years were very good. The last bottle from the 2007 batch I opened in March of this year at 5 years old and it was very, very good.
My red wines now get bulk aged 4-8 months before bottling but I make fewer kits now and don't need the equipment turnover. Also I make mostly kits with grapeskins and they tend to throw more sediment over time and longer aging helps to deal with this.
Good luck with yours.

Dugger, thanks for the info. I'm super exited about my wine, never tried one with skins. What one would you suggest? I have an empty carboy. Thanks

Ahh, there are so many to choose from, it's hard to make a recommendation and it depends on what you like.
Sticking with the Spagnols and with kits I have made I would recommend the Grand Cru International Brunello, the Cru Select Okanagan Meritage or the Winery Series Super Tuscan. These represent 3 of the more popular sizes and price ranges of Spagnols kits and have all given me good results.
There are many, many others though and it would be worth your while to visit the various kit makers web sites and check out their line up and see what catches your eye and then maybe ask back here what members think of those particular kits.

Dugger, I currently have this wine bulk aging. I over-oaked my first Pinot Noir and didn't want to make that mistake again so I removed them after secondary. This Pinot Noir only 69 days old and already tastes wonderful -- so much better than my over-oaked.

Dugger, I currently have this wine bulk aging. I over-oaked my first Pinot Noir and didn't want to make that mistake again so I removed them after secondary. This Pinot Noir only 69 days old and already tastes wonderful -- so much better than my over-oaked.

Glad it turned out for you. So how long did you have the oak in? I had to check the RJS website to see what the directions are now for this kit, since it's been a while since I made it. You say you removed it after secondary, so does this means the oak was in for the full 6 weeks ( 14 days ferment in primary and then sit in carboy until day 42)? This may help Tarpon230 decide how long to oak.

Dugger, my apologies. I checked my spreadsheet and I had the wine on oak in primary for 14 days. I racked it off most of the oak in secondary. I tried to get most of the juice when I racked and remember quite a bit of oak transferring into secondary. On day 25, I then racked again (this time removing all of the oak). Sorry for the confusion, I have so many wines going that I lose track. I think that Pinot Noir is an easy wine to over-oak, so I would take the previous posters suggestion with going easy on the oak and adding some to bulk aging if you think you need it.

Back