Critique of apple recipe, please?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I've bottled my apple wine after about 7 months of bulk aging. I'm going start something with a touch of spice. After reviewing a number of recipes out there... this is what I'm looking at:

4 gallons apple cider
3 cans of apple juice concentrate (to bolster flavor)
2 lbs brown sugar
1.5 cup maple syrup
1.5 cups white raisins
3 cinnamon sticks
4 each cloves
2.5 lbs honey
1/8 teaspoon K-meta
1.5 teaspoons acid blend
2 teaspoons yeast energizer
2 teaspoon pectic enzyme

water up to 5.75 gallons, adjust sugar to 1.085. Apply Red Star champagne yeast after waiting 24 hours.

thoughts? suggestions?

Can't help you much but make sure you taste your apple cider before you buy a bunch. I bought some from an orchard and It didn't taste too good at all. I figured ahhh heck it will get better with age. I've got 5 gallons of it going in the basement and the taste definitely isn't getting better. Good luck.

Ken, Your recipe looks good. I've made 30 gals of apple & 9 of spiced in last 3 yrs. your wine will have a hint of spice in it. You may want to take a gallon after a few months & add 3 cinm. sticks, 4 more cloves & some ginger root & let that age 3 mo. before racking, [taste first] that will give you a "spiced apple" wine for Thanksgiving. Mine has been a huge hit with the turkey! Roy

Ken I see you added Maple syrup to yours. This is something I was also thinking of doing this fall when I get some fresh cider. Your recipe sounds really good and I am very interested in hearing how it works out for you. After making one similier to this last year the one thing I would stick to again is using only 2 cloves. A little bit goes a long way (just my taste). Good luck and please keep us posted.

that seems like a lot of sugar products (honey/syrup)
also i what % alc are you shooting for final? doesnt the red star do like ec118 and get up to around 17-18%? i'm thinking d47 personally... but thats just my thoughts.

I agree with Woodsxdagon, you need to use d47 or lavlin 1122. You should not have a real aggressive fermentation going with this, slower will enhance the apple flavor much better.

Hey everyone...

After the initial feedback Friday, I started the recipe as-listed.

The Red Star has been working away... tossed it in on Saturday, this morning I've come down from 1.085 to 1.055. It smells really good. Checking my notes, I think it's better than the last batch of apple that I made.

Hopefully the burn rate of the Red Star won't be too fast and damage the flavor.

thanks for all the feedback!

It's airlocked in a carboy for aging with a pinch of k-meta... smells good, tastes bold... too young. I've wrapped the carboy in black plastic and will start aging for about 6 months.

Back