critique/inputs for blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your approach to winemaking makes me smile. It's so much easier helping someone BEFORE they make all kinds of rookie mistakes. I'm a believer in doing homework before attempting things because more knowledge makes things work out better. No matter what I do, I always study before going forward. It makes a huge difference in the outcome.

Many years ago, we took the same approach---started working on making great wines. Different techniques makes a difference, for sure. Experience helps too. Anything you pay lots of attention to--anything you invest in---- you get MORE of. I told you in the past that with your attitude------you're gonna be a great winemaker.

Thought I would update this post. It's been another 3 months since I last racked.So today I'll rack and add more k-meta because my PPM is about 18.
Still being a newbie and not wanting to over sulphite I was web browsing to find something to tell you how much to add and I found this:
Calculation of Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)
Potassium metabisulfite, 1 gram = 150 ppm in 1 gallon, 30 ppm in 5 gallons
Potassium metabisulfite, ¼ teaspoon = 225 ppm in 1 gallon, 45 ppm in 5 gallons

Does this look accurate enough to go by? And if so, if my wine is 3 gal. and I added 1 g ,that would put me up 50 ppm? and is that enough?

If I was you I would be sure to make sure your sulfite is the same one mentioned in the calculations they performed. They seem pretty good to me.. However, it never hurts to double check.

How much k-meta needed is dependent on pH level. This article explains it all way better than I could. About 3/4 of the way down are two charts and an explanation of molecular and free SO2. While aging you want to keep levels between 0.8 and 2.0 molecular. As the article states you don't want to get above 2.0 molecular because that is about where humans can start to sense SO2.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks SBWs.I have read that article and have the chart printed for me to use as a reference. I knew my PH was important for determining my SO2 additions. It was just the math in figuring how much to add. I have to give a BIG thanks to Seth for taking the day in teaching me some tools for doing this.
I'm proud to say I now know (at least a bit ;) ) the technique called dimensional analysis. So using this formula .5tsp/(50mg/L*22.7L)=4.4*10^-4 tsp/mg I can determine how much K-meta to add after determining how much I'm down. I just change the 22.7L to whatever size of carboy I'm using.
Today now, because I spent yesterday in math class, I'll get this baby racked!

Thought I'd show a pic of the rich color it has. It still has to clear a bit more ,I tried to get a shot with the light shining through but couldn't .

wine.jpg

Looks good Kim!
Might want to try fining it to get it clear. I used egg whites last year on my blackberry and it worked great. Found that to be a bit messy though with very fluffy sediment so SuperKleer may be better.

Just remember when using egg whites, you would be reducing your tannins as well and blackberry is not that high in tannins.

Exactly, by removing some of the tannins, your wine will not taste as dry, and not as astringent...more like a merlot....
could call Julie....should have posted that myself.

Just remember when using egg whites, you would be reducing your tannins as well and blackberry is not that high in tannins.

Great tips about the egg whites, wish I had knows that for my Blackberry Mead - it could have used some softening.

That's a good looking glass of wine. How's the flavor? I'll bet it's very good.

When you do all blackberry with no water, you'll never be able to see thru it, no matter what you do. Did you use bentonite on that? It's about all you need to do.

This is a good point.
I usually mix in a small amount of tannins prior to fining with them to compensate.

That's a good looking glass of wine. How's the flavor? I'll bet it's very good.

When you do all blackberry with no water, you'll never be able to see thru it, no matter what you do. Did you use bentonite on that? It's about all you need to do.
I did use the bentonite on day 3 .This posting was where I learned all I know on bentonite. Between the pectic enzyme and bentonite I should be good.
I think I'll wait til the 9 month mark and then see how it's doing.It's hard to tell in the picture but it is clearing nicely.

I actually went back to the beginning and reread all the past posts and forgot what a big learning experience I got from this wine. Thank You everyone who has helped.

The taste: the blackberry is definitely front and forward. Still a little bite of alcohol and kinda sucks your tongue up to the roof of your mouth. Body and color are amazing.
I think, like you mentioned earlier Turok, I'll wait to taste at the 9 month mark and see if it needs any tweeking then.

Well, it sounds like it turned out great. Oh yeah--I remember our experiences with this wine!!

Do you remember what you set the potential alcohol at? We make our fruit wines at 12-12 1/2 ABV. You really don't want more than that as high alcohol content can interfere with the fruit flavor. Is it nice and smooth with no harshness? Don't be afraid to age it 1 year--that's what we do. But we actually have some in carboys that are 2 years old.

Oh yeah--I remember our experiences with this wine!!
This was my 1st True fruit wine.And you helped me from the beginning.And I now check and adjust PH and use bentonite in all my wines.

The alc. level is actually lower than my usual wines. Starting SG was 1.082 and it finished at .998 so I'm looking at about 11%.
I'm definitely going to let it sit another 3 months(that would put it at 9 months) and taste again. I'm sure,with time, this is going to taste amazing on it's own.

That sounds good, then. I think you used 71B culture on this too, so you shouldn't have harshness. Allowing it to age is a smart way to go--it SHOULD taste just like a blackberry pie.

Then we taught you GOOD--LOL. You'll have much better wines when you take PH readings and adjust as needed. You design your wine at the primary, and that's where the bulk of the work should go! I hate trying to work with problem wines in the post ferment---been thousands of years since we had to do that!! All I want to do post ferment is work with additional flavors on some of the wines, and oaking procedures.

hahaha! Yup I was taught good! And yes I did use 71B in this wine.

It's funny what's become habit now. I automatically take and set my PH after getting my SG, always add bentonite, and clear with time.

Will update at next racking :b

Oh, I only wish all new winemakers would ask lots of questions and ask for help BEFORE they begin ferments. Then they'd learn the right techniques early on and not have problems. You're light years ahead when you learn BEFORE doing.

I'll be excited to hear about your update.

I'll be excited to hear about your update.

Well I uncorked my 1st bottle today. I aged it 13 months so I figured it was time to give it a try.

It is so smooth, that stick your tongue to the roof of your mouth is gone.It tastes like blackberry pie, but not as sweet.(I never backsweetened) I am really happy with the body, taste and smell. It is a good medium bodied wine that smells of fruity blackberries.
Not adding any water left the full true flavor.

Everything I have learned from everyone here in making this wine has gone into my other fruit wines and I am more confident that they will come out great after trying this one!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Back