Cranberry problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Callow

Reaction score
I've pitched the yeast 3 times, and nothing.
5 gallon batched
100 % cranberries, no juices
12lbs of sugar

I can't figure it out. I've tried a cup of juice with the yeast and have been able to get it started. As soon as it got to the primary it seems to shut down.

The primary was completely clean too.

any thoughts?

Its warm enough?
Have you aerated/stirred some oxygen into it?
Whats the SG?

Have you considered expanding the start to a larger volume before adding to the rest of the must? I run my starters in a 2 liter soda bottle and toss when its full and rocking..

Some things to consider..

Room temperature has been cool, 65degrees or so.
Can I pitch yeast a 4th time?
stirred twice daily.

What yeast? I had the same situatioin with a cranberry melomel (honey & cranberry) when using D47. Failed 2 or 3 times and finally had to switch to EC-1118. Then it took right off.

What did you clean your equipment with ?

What did you clean your equipment with ?

I had a friend who cleaned every thing with bleach - not good for yeast

I would suggest you get it on a heating pad, I had the same problem with my cranberry, the 3rd time I made a starter with EC-1118 after I sat the bucket on a heating pad and it finally took off, has been a real slow ferment, but at least it is going. Loren

I agree, you need to get the temp up to 75 to get it going good. Also if you dont have any nutrient and or energizer in there get some and add it! The temp is just to cold to get the yeast started and cranberry is very problematic to begin with so you have two ouchies!

Cranberry can be tough. How did you pitch the yeast? I would try a dilute starter and work up the concentration.

Last edited:
Definately did not use bleach. :)

So if I increase the heat, do I ad a 4th packet of yeast? I've used montrachet so far.

Im betting that once it gets nice and warm it will get going fine without adding anymore yeast.

Back