Cranberry No Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnydipper

Reaction score
I added yeast, sprinkle on top method on January 3rd. I took a SG but I didn't write it down and now can't remember what it was.
smiley19.gif
There has been no action going on, so I took another SG just now and it's at 1.12. I don't know the must temperature, but I'm assuming it is low because I have it in the basement. I have a five gallon primary and a three gallon carboy that are not being used right now, so I was thinking about making two more gallons, then adding the current gallon to five gallon primay before I add yeast. Also will move it to a warmer part of the house or get a bucket belt. Does it sound like I'm on the right tract?

This sounds like a very plausible course of action. That will lower the very high starting SG. Be sure you lower the amount of sugar you add in the new batches. Making a yeast starter would be a good idea also. Be sure to check the temp and keep it at about 70-75.

Did you use any yeast nutrient initially? If not I would recommend adding some

What yeast strain did you use? Some yeast have a wide range of fermentable temperatures.

Did you check the TA or pH?

I make a lot of cranberry. It has always been the hardest to get going and the slowest to ferment.

I just made my first batch (12-8-08) and aside from my impatience I found it went well. It did seem to take a bit longer to finish fermentation than I expected.

Skinnydipper,

What did you use for your cranberry? Was it concentrate or fresh juice? I would assume you know to check the labels for potassium sorbate and other preservatives that might inhibit fermentation.

I used fresh cranberries. 71B-1122 yeast, and yeast nutrient. I followed my own advice and now have three gallons in the primary. I also discovered there is a piece of small glass in the bottom of my hydrometer, so I am now concerned I am not getting accurate readings.

Check your hydrometer for accuracy by putting it in distilled water at a temp of 60 degrees, it should read 1.000. If there is a pce of glass in there though I would imagine that it has a hole in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's strange, no hole, and no leaking. I bought it from the local supply shop so I will run it back over this week and see if he will exchange it for a new one. When I made my second two gallons, I put half of the sugar (enough for one gallon). When I checked the SG it was at 1.05. When I added the gallon that wouldn't ferment, I had an SG of zero. That is when I noticed the piece of glass in the bottom. I'm concerned that none of the readings I've taken to date have been accurate.

Did you do what Wade suggested about testing your hydrometer? I have 2 and when ever I get a reading that I question I'll double check with the spare. Its nice to have 2 just in case one breaks.
VPC

No, I haven't. Not ignoring Wade's advice, just haven't had the time. I think having two is good idea and will probably pick up another while at the store.

I had a similar problem with my last batch of cranberry. I had a high starting sg 1.115. It's a long story let's just say it involved fresh berries and concentrate and I was green enough to not try to lower the sg before adding the yeast and dumb enough not to ask for advice. After a couple of days of nothing happening after adding 71B1122, I reinnoculated and got a little fermentation going. I think the yeast burned out after dropping the sg to 1.028 I then restarted the fermentation with 71B1118 using a yeast starter to get the yeast really fermenting first. I never had a really good fermentation and the guys in my local club all said Cranberry was a pretty slow/mild fermenter. Anyway after a lot of messing around the wine turned out pretty good. Hang in there. I'll bet you're surprised in the end.

Blueberry also contains this. anyone know what other fruits contain this?

I've done a bunch of wines & meads with blueberry and all have fermented rather fast. My cranberry wine & mead also went very fast. The cranberry cyser on the other hand I started the first of August and it finally finished this past weekend. I used store bought frozen blueberries and fresh (from the grocery store) cranberries and small batches. Would doubling the yeast like we do in meads would help?
VPC

I've read that Northern blueberries contain benzoic acid, but Southern varieties do not.

Probably just those 2 cause those are the only 2 that I see constantly with primary problems.I havent had any trouble getting either of those to ferment but have watched them ferment very slowly in my basement which is OK cause thats the way I like my fruit wines to ferment anyway.

I finally got a new hydrometer. The cranberry has been slowly fermenting since I added two more gallons with half the sugar. Down to 1.03 this morning, looking forward to getting this one in the carboy, hopefully when I return from a weekend trip Sunday night. Thank you everyone for your help!

Rocky Top said:
I make a lot of cranberry. It has always been the hardest to get going and the slowest to ferment.

Just like RockyTop I make cranberry wine from fresh cranberry. I also ran into the same problem starting. Bring the temp to high 60's Make a starter to help jump start. after starter starts slowly add some must so the yeast isnt shocked. Did you check acid level and PH?
BTW did you just add the berries or break them up somehow (frozen?)

Back