crab apple stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added Kmeta last night 1/2 tsp. Got PH meter [mw102] in the mail but would not calibrate, soaked in 4.01 all night and it was good to go in the morning. Looked at must before I left for work and appeared to be bubbling, tonight we have for sure good fermentation without adding any yeast. PH meter reads 3.28/T.A. .78. Can I add some calcium carbonate now? It is a little to acid for my taste.

SSG was 1.080
today was 1.071 @ 75°

Last edited:
Why did you add so much KM? 1/2 tsp is a bit much for 5 gallons when working with a stuck fermentation. WVMJ

Why did you add so much KM? 1/2 tsp is a bit much for 5 gallons when working with a stuck fermentation. WVMJ

I thought since it was really more like a new start as there was only 1 gallon of the "old" must and 4 gallons of the new it would need full dose, package says 1/2tsp / 5gallons

This morning it is fermenting very hard.

OK, most powdered KM is about 1/4 tsp for 5-6gal, maybe you got a different kind in Montana? Very good that it started up. I need to get out and pick some crabs myself! A sorta better way would have been to sulfite the juice for about 12 hrs before you added the gallon from your other ferment,just a little less stress on the yeast. WVMJ

my KM is Brewcraft brand but resides in Montana , I just looked to make sure I read it correctly and it say 1/2 tsp for 6 gallons, so even at that it was to much.

Rural Montana has very few options when it comes to brewing supplies unless you go to a bigger town, which in my case would be 1 1/2 hour drive! Most of my supplies are for sure mail order.

I added some calcium carbonate last night and today sg 1.052 @ 78°......TA .70..........PH 3.43 I am happy for now! It makes sense that I should have added Kmeta before I added the other gallon, that is why I am a "newbie" and glad to get insight from veterans:db

Transferred this to secondary last night [email protected], little taste was not bad. Now to wait and see how it turns out

Going to use the the rest of stuck crab apple and make some apple pie cyser [from the recipe section], get it started this week end. I have added 100% apple juice to the stuck crab apple that was left and have a full 6 gallons to try the new batch with, have never made mead before so this will be a new adventure

Latest posts

Back