could you check my backsweetening and bottling process please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have some strawberry that I have stabilized about a month or so ago. It needs backsweetening. It is not real clear but I have tried pectic and supercleer and nothing seems to help.

I have considered using bentonite but I don't know. I have already used sparkloid before the superclear. and it was degassed.

First, I guess I should ask if you think I should try bentonite.

Now, about the backsweetening. can I rack to a bottling bucket, add my simple syrup, stir gently and then bottle?

Olu, I have 50 litres of strawberry, it hasn't cleared much but a 5lt batch was poured onto 8lb of sloes that had been used for sloe gin, the strained wine cleared, it has been returned to the bulk in the hope that it will promote clearing.

olusteebus, I really hate hearing anyone who bottles a wine that is not clear. Have you tried cold stabilizating? I have had wines that would not clear and while I did not have an issue with acid, I still put them outside and they cleared nicely.

I did a bentonite test a 1 gal strawberry. It cleared, but it also made it orange. This was side-by-side with an identical gallon.

The second gallon eventually cleared on its own and had better color and flavor.

As wine temps have been dropping in the winery, the white wines including strawberry, are clearing much faster now. The cold weather always clears the wines faster for me. I let nature do it rather than chilling tanks. It works- not overnight, but a couple weeks does wonders.

BobF said:
I did a bentonite test a 1 gal strawberry. It cleared, but it also made it orange. This was side-by-side with an identical gallon.

The second gallon eventually cleared on its own and had better color and flavor.

Every time I've tried to make strawberry wine it comes out orange and I have never used bentonite.

Strawberry takes a while to clear - have patience and like state before - try to CS it.

The wine is near 6 months old. I guess I just should shove it back out of site and forget about it for a few more months. That process worked great for me on the first kit I made. I was thinking it would never be drinkable, put it in the back of my cabinet in my cellar. After about 6 or 8 months, pulled it out, tasted it and decided I may can drink it.

I bottled it, chilled one and man, it was dang good.

Thanks to all.

Strawberry takes a long time to clear, at least for me. I had one that just had a bit of solids in it. Could not see them til I shined a lazer lite into the bottle. Think it was almost a year old when I bottled it. I had it cold, warm, fined it a couple of ways, but still had a nice line thru it with the lazer. When bottled, one week later it started throwing sediment. Left it on the shelf, before opening, shook it up. Sediment disappeared and nobody has said anything about it when they have helped me drink it except it is pretty darn good. About gone now and the next batch havn't had any problem with. Guess it is old history, made the next batch the same way according to my notes. Nothing to worry about. Arne.

I have had a few stubborn wines that wouldn't clear until they got racked again. Stirring might also work.

I have had a few stubborn wines that wouldn't clear until they got racked again. Stirring might also work.

I agree - give it more than 6 months - throw in a racking - if you have a vacuum pump - push that up to like 18-20hg.

Then let sit - patience...

Latest posts

Back