Could someone please advise me regarding wine???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineSwine

Reaction score
Hi, New at this...
I started my wine (5 gallon blackberry and 5 gallon strawberry) with too much sugar (not knowing what i was doing) OG 1.130 on 9/20/2015 Then 22 days later with a specific gravity of 1.025 I racked into my glass 5 gallon carboys. The wine is around 13% tastes and smells good so far..
My question is, I used a racking cane being careful to avoid the transfer of sediment yet one day later there is almost and inch of crap on the bottom. Should I rack again and get it off the dead yeast or is it too soon and i risk exposing to air??

Thank you for your input. This forum seems to be a good find, I'm going to skim around and learn what I can.

I would rack after three days and again in three weeks. the first racking is to get off of gross lees which can cause off odors in the wine. these lees are made up of dead yest and other remnants from your must. the second racking will remove the wine from fine lees. the wine should be on the way to clearing with the next rack in three months. add Kemta at second racking.

I also would rack after a few days when using fruit as opposed to juice. You will often get bits and pieces of leftover fruit with the first racking/transfer. It drops out after a few days and can be left behind with the next racking a few days later. Beyond that a few weeks to a month will settle out the fine lees and you rack again then.

Latest posts

Back