Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on the approach to 70,000 dead... over 10,000 more than in the Vietnam war, and in a matter of weeks, not over 20 years.

Gotta say, for all those who are protesting about their "rights," this crisis has pretty much made a nice clean line between those who are "all about me" and those who are "all about us." It is real easy to identify who is who.

I wish these early open, let me do what I want types would spend some time with my ER cardiologist friend in southern Georgia, where it is a complete disaster - a disaster that experts say will become more widespread after we open up. I want Steve to tell them how it feels to watch people die by drowning in their own thick mucous. I got to see my MIL die up close and personal from COPD - it was gruesome - and he told me COVID makes COPD look like an easy death.

Ah, but on the other hand, these "ME, ME, ME" types are so hardheaded, even watching somebody die that way wouldn't affect them.

I have three friends so far who have retired rather than be called back to unsafe working conditions. We're all of that age or thereabouts. I could too, and I will if I have to return to an unmanageable and unsafe situation.

I have zero faith in my country or the federal government, both of which I think are dying.

"E Pluribus Unum," my foot. It should read "You're On Yer Own!"

OK, soapbox removed. Yank this if inappropriate. It's how I feel.

Virginia will begin "opening up" next Friday. Myself (easy for me to say, I'm not working) and most of my friends and family are saying "that's great, have fun with it" and will continue to distance and minimize trips to public places and even smaller gatherings (most are able to work from home - even if at reduced hours/pay in some cases). There are those that are in dire straits and have to work, and I get that. I just hope they can find sufficient support from those who are venturing out. Wait staff in restaurants is one group that I know are suffering immensely and want to get back to work. We go to a nearby Bonefish Grill about once a month for lunch and almost always have the same waiter - he is excellent at his job and we're always happy when we get seated in his section. I saw him at Wegman's a couple weeks ago training to be a cashier. Really sucks, but I'm glad he was able to find something. Just wish we can all get back to normal sooner than later.

Thoughts on the approach to 70,000 dead... over 10,000 more than in the Vietnam war, and in a matter of weeks, not over 20 years.

Gotta say, for all those who are protesting about their "rights," this crisis has pretty much made a nice clean line between those who are "all about me" and those who are "all about us." It is real easy to identify who is who.

I wish these early open, let me do what I want types would spend some time with my ER cardiologist friend in southern Georgia, where it is a complete disaster - a disaster that experts say will become more widespread after we open up. I want Steve to tell them how it feels to watch people die by drowning in their own thick mucous. I got to see my MIL die up close and personal from COPD - it was gruesome - and he told me COVID makes COPD look like an easy death.

Ah, but on the other hand, these "ME, ME, ME" types are so hardheaded, even watching somebody die that way wouldn't affect them.

I have three friends so far who have retired rather than be called back to unsafe working conditions. We're all of that age or thereabouts. I could too, and I will if I have to return to an unmanageable and unsafe situation.

I have zero faith in my country or the federal government, both of which I think are dying.

I get how you feel. This virus put me in the hospital for a couple weeks with half the time in the ICU. Where I differ with you is that I think the Governors have a DUTY to make a better case for the "lock down." We need to see the same information that they are basing their decisions on. We the people can figure out solutions if we know what we are up against. The situation is different in southern Illinois than it is in Chicago. One size does NOT fit all.
My step sister owns a successful hair salon, and she is starving. Her choice is buy food or pay the rent. If she can't pay her rent the landlord will get the contents of her salon, and she will be left with nothing. The bad credit rating will follow her for years. If given the chance she could find a solution that kept her & her customers safe. I was sick and I quarantined myself. I have not seen my new grandson since he was born on 3/18/20. I don't want anyone to go through my ordeal, I don't want my 90 year old father to catch this from me. But I need to get back to work too.

One of my nephews is an EMT in Georgia, and he says that the news media are really DOWNPLAYING how bad the situation is there. To me, that is the scariest part of NOT KNOWING! Our government, and the news should be unbiased and "tell us like it is", not tell us what they think we should know!

I get how you feel. This virus put me in the hospital for a couple weeks with half the time in the ICU. Where I differ with you is that I think the Governors have a DUTY to make a better case for the "lock down." We need to see the same information that they are basing their decisions on. We the people can figure out solutions if we know what we are up against. The situation is different in southern Illinois than it is in Chicago. One size does NOT fit all.
My step sister owns a successful hair salon, and she is starving. Her choice is buy food or pay the rent. If she can't pay her rent the landlord will get the contents of her salon, and she will be left with nothing. The bad credit rating will follow her for years. If given the chance she could find a solution that kept her & her customers safe. I was sick and I quarantined myself. I have not seen my new grandson since he was born on 3/18/20. I don't want anyone to go through my ordeal, I don't want my 90 year old father to catch this from me. But I need to get back to work too.
Sorry to hear about your illness Chuck. Seems like you "missed the bullet", thank God. My boyfriend's daughter just left OSU after spending 3 weeks on a ventilator., and another 2 weeks in ICU without the ventilator. It was touch-and-go for a long time not knowing whether she was going to make it. She is home now, very weak and struggling to walk. This virus is nothing to minimize. In 1918 the Spanish Flu killed 600,000 Americans and lasted ten months coming in three distinct waves. I think we all need to prepare for the long haul. Stay safe, and stay well my friend.

JS.......couldn't agree with you more!!

@DizzyIzzy I'm not sure where in Georgia your nephew is, but in the Atlanta area where I live, things seem better than where I work (Santa Clara, California)...

The statistics also don’t really seem to support that the situation is “BAD” in Georgia.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/georgia-coronavirus-cases.html
Normally I would ignore your post, but I keep hearing from people who don’t live in Georgia, how bad things are here which couldn’t be further from the truth at least in the Atlanta metro area which is the bulk of the Georgia population (60%). Everyone should carefully consider their own personal risk as certain conditions and age groups are much more susceptible to this disease, and definitely an “invisible disease” creates a tremendous fear effect, however I’ve heard numerous misstatements about “the situation in Georgia” which I would caution from my point of view as a Ga resident sound a lot like fear mongering. Time will tell, but imo it’s too soon to see any real impact of our state reopening as we are barely past the early incubation stage of the earliest possible new cases.

Jim (@Boatboy24), thank you so much for posting that, one of my favorite songs from my past. Instantly improved my mood! I was dancing in the rain (neighbors probably think I'm nuts, which I am).

I just had to file for unemployment benefits today, hours cut (2 billable hours so far this week). Fortunately the first time in my lifetime. That was a hard pill to swallow, I was brought up to support myself and family and not depend on anyone to support me (other than my parents when I was growing up). Oh lights just went out, maybe I shouldn't be typing this....or maybe He's making it so I can't go make that pizza dough in the mixer right now. Kinda gives you a new perspective when it affects you personally.

So slightly depressed and feeling sorry about myself, what do I do? Called Mom. Had an hour conversation and got to share how wonderful of a parent she was. I get my upbeat attitude (most times) and love of God from her. Remember it is Mothers Day on Sunday, call your mom if she is still around. This pandemic is really hard and cruel on our older popuation. Please pray for them if you are religious at all.

Watched earlier today and saw my Son interact with his diabetic dietician (virtual visit). He's so smart and knows his insulin pump almost better than the dietician who works with literally thousands of kids. I think my wife and I don't give each other enough credit for our four kids upbringing. Stop beating yourself to death parents, life will do that all by itself.

What to get from my ranting? If you feel down and need help, just reach out to someone. It is cliche to say we are all in this together, but we are and we will get through this with the help of each other. If you have a neighbor in need, just help, you don't have to fix all their problems, but just let them know you care and maybe fix a small one.

I hope all are well, I can't imagine losing a loved one and having to stay six feet away from each other in a mask to celebrate their life. Please, if you are so inclined, to pray for those in need.

I think you speak for many of us right now Craig. Sent you a PM.
Mike

You are absolutely right, Mike.

Craig: sorry to hear your news, but your attitude is great - that will go a long way to helping you get through and perhaps even coming out better than you went in. Your post raised my spirits, so thank you. And I'm glad my little bit of shared music helped you, even if only for a few moments.

Latest posts

Back