Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virginia set a record today for the number of new cases with 772. In fact, 3 of the last 5 days have been 'the highest ever' reported new cases. Peaking? Nope.

Big spike in the US yesterday. I don't know exactly what this means. Number of deaths was down, but they lag new infections by 1-2 weeks typically and that could reflect the leveling of the new infections.

US-New-per-day-4-24.jpgUS-deaths-per-day-04-24.jpg

I just went out and bought a violin it went with the long Italian Rivera look.

I heard earlier that Virginia in the last 'few days' (words of the Governor) has been conducting twice as many tests as we were a week ago. That certainly explains the increase in reported cases per day.

I saw this in the paper today.

"We are a group of passionate citizen-scientists who offer four actionable, non-partisan proposals to produce safe and effective COVID-19 therapeutics and vaccines in the shortest possible timeframe, and to reopen our society in a manner that reduces the risk of future COVID-19 outbreaks. None of the contributors named in this proposal have any direct or known indirect financial interests in the referenced companies. Our only motivation is to help defeat the serious threat our nation and the world now faces." Attached is thier plan

Attachments

• Scientists_to_Stop_COVID19_2020_04_23_FINAL.pdf
    987.2 KB · Views: 25
Heck, I'll be in Hamilton at that time tomorrow, probably won't be able to see them.

Bummer! I'm trying to pin down the exact flight path, but the maps I've seen get really blurry when you start to zoom in. It looks like they'll be flying almost directly over the Wegmans, but I can't tell.

The 4 Corners region of the Navajo Nation continues to blow up. Things are so bad that the mayor of Gallup asked the Gov of NM to lock down the City with no travel in or out. There are now more positive test in McKinley County (pop 71,000) than in Bernalillo County where ABQ is located (pop 679,000). The rest of the State has peaked as far as new cases but deaths are still on the rise as we are losing many of the elderly population in the 4 Corners area every day. Many of the nursing homes in that region are especially hard hit at the moment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.08.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.09.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.09.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-02 at 7.11.18 AM.png

Hey Mike: What's the testing rate been like? I've been concerned about the rise in Virginia, but assume that it was due to increase testing. Fortunately, that turned out to be the case. In the last 10-12 days, testing here has tripled.

1588431140802.png

NM got out of the gates early and fast and has ramped up quickly. At one point I think we were second in the nation as far as testing per capita behind only NY. As things have peaked around the bulk of the State they have been shifting resources to the 4 corners area moving supplies on a daily basis which is why the numbers up there are now exploding.

As you know I have family in TX which on the day they decided to relax and open back up they had the highest one day death rate to date. TX is not testing. The have a less than 1% testing rate. NM is over 3% now. But yeah, lets reopen. All clear......

Hey Mike: What's the testing rate been like? I've been concerned about the rise in Virginia, but assume that it was due to increase testing. Fortunately, that turned out to be the case. In the last 10-12 days, testing here has tripled.

My home state of Tennessee is wide open and working hard to build up the fall and winter peak but my wife and I have been isolated for 7 weeks. She took a leave from her retail job to avoid being exposed during the peak. I own a farm, so I had to go out twice for parts, once for fertilizer and twice to grocery shop.

I know it is not PC to say this but I am loving this life! This is the first spring since 1992 that I have been here daytimes to watch it unfold - beautiful! I am fortunate to still be paid by the university and my work continues, busier than ever actually, from home. I just wish I had more time to get more of the often delayed projects around here done, but I have tackled several.

I can definitely see the benefits of retirement and I cannot wait! We've worked pretty hard for 30 years to get this place decent and it should be a fun thing to mess around with in my retired years. I have 2 years and 5 months to a pension, so I am trying to hold out. But this experience has been such a joy. I'm not tensed up about my workday or about what is going to happen tomorrow, I can go out and see nature anytime I want to, and my work is getting done. Very blessed.

Now if my friend's dad would just get off the ventilator for good and my other friend's grandmother and two aunts could get off theirs, it would be perfect. I am never far way from COVID, as I cover it for the university in a variety of ways.

Today we passed 65,000 sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, cousins, mothers and fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers. Gone. As I said, I am very blessed.

Latest posts

Back