corn wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboytex

Reaction score
I'm making a batch of corn wine and the instructions tell me to put plastic on the secondary. I'm new at this but all the other wines that I have made called for putting cheese cloth or something to enable the yeast to get oxygen. What do you think?

Normally, secondary is done under an airlock. What else do the instructions tell you to do?

Normally, secondary is done under an airlock. What else do the instructions tell you to do?

Sorry! I told U I was new! lol I meant the bucket used to ferment(Primary).
Also, my SG reading were a little high and one primary bucket was going very slow so I made another starter with orange juice, if I don't have to use it on this batch, how long will it keep? Should I put it in the frig.?

Last edited:
I doubt the plastic will be air-tight, so I would think it should be fine.

How high was the SG? How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

I just rehydrate the yeast per the instructions on the package, so I have no idea about how long a stater would live.

I doubt the plastic will be air-tight, so I would think it should be fine.

How high was the SG? How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

I just rehydrate the yeast per the instructions on the package, so I have no idea about how long a stater would live.

I have two primaries, each with 2 1/2 gal. I pitched the yeast early this morning. The SG reading were 1.110 and 1.120. At lunch I couldn't hear anything in bucket 1.110 so that is why I made another starter, just in case. I took the plastic off of both bucket and put a cloth, here it is a couple of hrs later and both have a crust on top.

With those SG numbers, you're looking at 15-17% alcohol, unless the yeast craps out first and leaves some residual sugar.

I normally expect an 18-24 hour lag after pitching the yeast before seeing any real activity.

With those SG numbers, you're looking at 15-17% alcohol, unless the yeast craps out first and leaves some residual sugar.

I normally expect an 18-24 hour lag after pitching the yeast before seeing any real activity.

Yea, I know it is a little high but don't want to water it down. I don't have the patience to wait that long, that is why I use a starter.

Latest posts

Back