Corn starch issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
I was given a bunch of peach shake base. I think it's for making smoothies.I was able to ferment it by mixing it with fruits or juices reducing the sodium benzoate preservative. This makes a tasty peach wine but it stays cloudy due to corn starch. I have tried sparkaloid, bentonite, pectic enzyme and egg whites without success in clearing. I was wondering if amylase enzyme might work to convert starch to sugar. We have an opening for a wine chemist.
smiley38.gif

Why yes Andy,as it turns out in this circumstanceamylase enzyme was just what the doctor ordered. At a rate of double the suggested dosage it did in fact knock the starch haze down to a still imperfect but passable country wine. Glad I could help.

Andy, your cracking me up ! I think no one gave you an answer because no one has run into corn starch in their wines before. If I want peach wine I make it with peaches and leave the smoothy mixes to smoothies. I'm glad you fixed it and hope it is tasty for all the trouble it gave ya.

Pete

Latest posts

Back