Tweaking kit wine with fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
I have been making wine for 7 or so years, I started by making fruit wines but then converted to kits. I make about 6 kits a year, mostly wine expert and island mist adding sugar to bring my sg to 1.09, I recently had an epic battle with the raspberry peach sangria, I couldn't taste any peach, so I purchased wine flavor additives, tasted chemical fake, my question is can you add real fruit to wine kits in primary fermentation to add some fruit flavors to your wines, such as blackberries or peaches? Would you need to add pectic enzyme as Well? Anyone done this with success

Definitely, i have done peach Riesling before, about 6 peaches mashed in the primary. Definitely need pectic enzyme. Back sweeten slightly to bring the fruit flavors to the front.

Thank you I'm going to try both in primary and when it clears if I can't taste fruit flavors I'm looking for I may try to add more fruit and pectic, I can't wait try this out and bring my fruit wine and kits together.

If one could get honey specifically from a peach orchard could this honey be added to the first ferment of a peach wine kit? And any special tweaking to accommodate it?

If one could get honey specifically from a peach orchard could this honey be added to the first ferment of a peach wine kit? And any special tweaking to accommodate it?

Keep track of SG you dont want rocket fuel
I like to stay under yeast threshold for complete fermentation then add honey to sweeten after stabilization

I think you would do better adding fresh fruit at the beginning and at pectic enzyme at same time and therefore you would only have to let it clear one time, rather than have to clear twice and risk it being cloudy the second time and not clearing quickly. Just my thoughts, not rocket science answer.

I think you would do better adding fresh fruit at the beginning and at pectic enzyme at same time and therefore you would only have to let it clear one time, rather than have to clear twice and risk it being cloudy the second time and not clearing quickly. Just my thoughts, not rocket science answer.
I did some solid research since I posted this and I think this will be my best bet, I also saw someone had made a kit in 2 different primaries and tweaked them differently then racked them into 2 3gal carboys, that sounds like fun!

It really all depends on how much fruit you add to the base,usua usu 1 lb. Persix gallons more than enough to fortifivy flavor in the primary.Have you read the difference between putting the fruit in the primary as sposed to the secondary and their relationship to the finish?

Latest posts

Back