Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longlake

Junior
Reaction score
George supplies #9 corks. I noticed the local wine stores stock #8 corks. How do you tell what size cork to use?

This is my take on it -- people, correct me if I'm wrong:

I would go by what corker you are using. If using a hand (double lever) corker, go with #8.

If going with a floor corker, go with #9 corks.

From my experience, #9s are a bit thicker = harder to get in the bottle with a hand corker.

You can use either, though. Maybe someone else can comment further.

The tasting corks I sell are #8.

As to the corks, Martina is correct. Use the #8 with a hand corker and #9 with a floor corker. You might also want to stick with #8 for 375ml, as they have a little smaller neck than the larger bottles.

geocorn said:
The tasting corks I sell are #8.

As to the corks, Martina is correct. Use the #8 with a hand corker and #9 with a floor corker. You might also want to stick with #8 for 375ml, as they have a little smaller neck than the larger bottles.

smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

Looks like I have been buying the wrong corks all along then George. I was using the guide Masta linked to showing which cork to use for which bottle. Perhaps a revision here might be in order to clarify this. RE: #8 for hand corker and #9 for floor corker.

Thanks Martina for setting us all straight. I hereby crown you the official "Fine Vine Wines Cork Queen"
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo said:
Thanks Martina for setting us all straight. I hereby crown you the official "Fine Vine Wines Cork Queen"
smiley32.gif

Hahaha! Nah, let's just say, I've had my share of "experience."
smiley2.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =bold>Waldo wrote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#999999>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =text>

smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

Looks like I have been buying the wrong corks all along then George. I was using the guide Masta linked to showing which cork to use for which bottle. Perhaps a revision here might be in order to clarify this. RE: #8 for hand corker and #9 for floor corker.

smiley32.gif

</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

When Santa brings you a brand new floor corker for Xmas you will be all set with using a #9!

George - I think you supplied me with a bag of #9's in the beginner's
kit. I'll be using them this weekend. If they are ornery, I'll let you
know. And I just ordered two more bags from you Friday! Ah well,
pushing them home builds up the torso I suppose.

Bilbo: I have a double lever corker and have no problems at all when adjusted right. I have two nuts on the top of mine that allow me to adjust the plunger up or down, depending on where I want the cork to land. Again, It works fine for me and all I use are #9 corks.

As a point of clarification, I was referring to generic corks. My #9's work well with all metal corkers, including the double lever hand corker.

I should have also clarified that I use #9 corks on 750ML and 375ML. But just because I use them.......... Doesn't make it right
smiley18.gif

It's just what I use and so far so good.........

I probably should be using #8 on the 375ML bottles.

geocorn said:
As a point of clarification, I was referring to generic corks. My #9's work well with all metal corkers, including the double lever hand corker.

I totally agree. I've used my double-lever hand corker with them, and like I've said a million times.... Like Buttah!
smiley36.gif

MedPretzel said:
This is my take on it -- people, correct me if I'm wrong:

I would go by what corker you are using. If using a hand (double lever) corker, go with #8.

If going with a floor corker, go with #9 corks.

From my experience, #9s are a bit thicker = harder to get in the bottle with a hand corker.

You can use either, though. Maybe someone else can comment further.

Well well, you learn something every day, Thank yo for that little tidbit of info Martina

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

jojo said:
Georges corks are easiest to put in place.

You can say that again. They are truly a fine product. Someone gave me a bag of 100 here a while back that are the normal ones you see sold everywhere. There were a complete pain to use. Many would catch on the corker and chip off the corner. When I was corking some wold land flush, some a bit out of the bottle and more recessed a bit in the bottle. There was no consistency to where the cork would land in the bottle with a stroke of the floor corker. So I now have a bag of George's sitting here waiting to go to work soon!
smiley2.gif

Glenimus here,

New member, new wine maker. I will be corking soon. Somewhere in this forum (I cannot remember where) I read about the corks getting all bent out of shape. Someonewrote that it had something to do with how full the bottle was.Does anyone haveadvice onhow full to fill the bottle? I will beputting#9corks into 750ml recycled bottles using a handcorker and practicing prior to the real thing.

Glenimus is short for Glenimus I. Someday I will be pope, although the last time there was a job opening they didn't even acknowledge my application. Pity!

Hello Glenimus I - The ullage space should be around 1", maybe a little less,
some say general rule of thumb no more than the width of 2 fingers, which
might be too much. George's corks really do slide in nicely with the metal
corker. As AAAStinkie said once, just be forceful in pushing it home once the
levers are parallel with the floor. A quick soak in k-meta may help grease
the ways. Good luck and let the forum know how things go - post pictures!

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I learned a new term - ullage space. However, k-meta is not something that I know about. Well ... maybe it isshort for potassium metabisulfite ... wow, if k is not the periodic symbol for potassium I am going to be very embarrassed.

Have you noticed that learning the lingo is at least50% of becoming an "expert" at anything. Thatmeans I have far to go. Ok, ok ... I looked it up and k is the symbol for potassium (atomic number 19).

Thanks so much for your help.

Glenimus I

Time to be embarrassed; however, you are not the only one that was a little slow with that term
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back