Corks Not Seating All the Way In

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the corking, you leave the bottles upright for the corks to dry, about 4 or 5 days, i suppose. Then, use a rubber mallet to drive the raised corks flush. They will stay.

After the corking, you leave the bottles upright for the corks to dry, about 4 or 5 days, i suppose. Then, use a rubber mallet to drive the raised corks flush. They will stay.

Just my opinion, but I would be concerned driving them down could injure the corks and maybe even crack/split them.

I have just been leaving them a little high as the 1 3/4" corks turn into being a 1 1/2" cork, as far as what is in the bottle. This is when using my double lever hand corker.
When I just use my cheap plastic hand corker, I can actually get the 1 3/4" 9's to seat almost all the way in.

Using my floor corker I get most of mine all the way in, but once in a while I get one that just won't go. I've started using the hand corker, sticking it on top and slapping the crap out of it. Goes right in.

I would be very careful doing this. A preacher showed me how to blow the bottoms off bottles with your hand. You fill it within an inch of the top, hold one hand tight aroung the neck and hit down on the top with the fat of your hand. kind of sounds like what you are doing with the mallet suggestion.

cheers

I've been using the double handle corker for a few months. Not all my bottles are the same, so there has been some variability in the seating depth. I've found it to be a combination of bottle geometry, technique and adjustment nut position. It usually works fine.

I read this on one of these forums, but can't find it now. Anyway, it's an easy fix to the issue of corks not going in all the way with a non-adjustable double lever corker. Cut some 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices from one of your corks. After placing a cork in the corker, place one of the slices on top of the cork and cork the bottle. That little extra height from the slice forces the cork in a bit more. The slices are reuseable and often last for 10 - 15 bottles. You might have to experiment a bit to determine what slice thickness works best for the corks you use.

I also agree with getting a floor corker. I had this problem with both my 2 lever and floor corker. I put thread lock on both and never had any problems afterwards. by far the floor corker is far easier to use and is a more consistant machine.

I just got the floor corker and love it. I used the double leaver for a while though and it did this to me several times also. My #8 corks are plenty long enough I never sweated it if it was a tad over the top. Most of the time I use a PVC shrink capsule anyway so you cant tell. Use a sharp knife and cut it off if it really bothers you. Be careful!!

Same thing happens with my floor corker. Sometimes the cork is too soft, and the pressure in the bottle slides it up. Severa; soloutions: 1- insert corks in cool water a few seconds before using, to "set" the outer cork, but leave the center soft and compressable, 2- get a small wire, I use a 22 guage nicad wire, about 8" long, wind one end around a dowell for a handle, and insert into the bottle (which is already in the corker) then insert the cork as usual, then pull the wire out. This lets the pressure escape. 3- Instead of these, let the corked bottles sit upright 3 or 4 days. then use a rubber hammer to drive the high corks down. I use all 3 methods.

I read this on one of these forums, but can't find it now. Anyway, it's an easy fix to the issue of corks not going in all the way with a non-adjustable double lever corker. Cut some 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices from one of your corks. After placing a cork in the corker, place one of the slices on top of the cork and cork the bottle. That little extra height from the slice forces the cork in a bit more. The slices are reuseable and often last for 10 - 15 bottles. You might have to experiment a bit to determine what slice thickness works best for the corks you use.

This method works slick. I've been using a 1/4" slice or so with my two lever non-adjustable corker for about a year now and the 1 3/4" corks go in fine.

Back