Corks and how it's made

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting!

When they referred to the trees as "Cork Oaks," a little light bulb went off over my head. The genus of oak trees is Quercus. I.e., our American white oak is Quercus alba, whereas French oak is Quercus robur, etc.

I suddenly had a hunch that Quercus led to "cork." Indeed, this is the etymology:
Middle English: from Dutch and Low German kork, from Spanish alcorque ‘cork-soled sandal,’ from Arabic al- ‘the’ and (probably) Spanish Arabic qurq, qorq, based on Latin quercus ‘oak, cork oak.’

In case you were wondering, the cork oak is Quercus suber. Good thing for winemaking that we have oak trees, huh?

Last edited:
One thing...

Whenever we talk about cork, I always seems that Portugal is the only place where it is grown. I am surprised that there is none that is domestically produced (we have just about every type of climate).

One thing...

Whenever we talk about cork, I always seems that Portugal is the only place where it is grown. I am surprised that there is none that is domestically produced (we have just about every type of climate).

I've wondered that, too. It also seems hard to imagine that the Iberian Peninsula could supply ALL of the cork needs for ALL of the world, so you'd there there would be some impetus to grow it elsewhere, too.

Edited to add: Oh, the article points out (upon re-reading it) that about half of the world's cork comes from the Iberian Peninsula. Still, half is a lot!

Latest posts

Back