Corking, statement & question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
So, I've alway read here : "can't believe I've waited so long to get my floor corker" " so much easier" "never go back to double lever corker" and so on.

Well I had absolutely no issues with my double lever $29 corker, but had some $ in my pocket & the salesman talked me into it.

After bottling 3 batches with the floor corker my opinion is it's OKAY.

nothing that much better or wow about it. I had no issues & had a nice system with the other corker & corking went just as well. So if your happy with your double lever corker don't fall for all the hype & run out & spend the money if you don't need to.

Saying that, I have a question. When I was using the double lever corker, I kept my corks in a meta bath & kept the corker "lubricated". I don't need to with the floor corker (one positive). I'm putting them in dry ( per the salesman at the winery, who had used one for many years.

Do I still need to leave the bottles upright for a day after bottling? Or since I'm putting them in dry, can I lay them on their side right after bottling?

Thanks,
Brian

Yes leave them upright 24-36 hours. remember, you compressed the cork to insert. You want the cork to fully expand before turning upside down.

Tom I also read somewhere that the corks should be soaked in sanitizing solution. If so should we soak them and then let them dry before using them in a floor corker?

In my limited experience, what I've seeen is the meta solution used in corking is for lubrication only (or mostly). These are bagged & sealed with a gas - argon maybe? they should not need to be sanitized before use.

I've soaked them for a while & they seem almost impervious to the solution. One shake & they are perfectly dry. Like using rainx on your windshield. The solution does not soak into the cork.

This is probably one of those qustions tho that people have different opinions.
But for me, if it's a fresh bag, no need to sanitize.

Brian

I like to sanitize my corks with a quick sprits of sulfite solution. I have a plastic colander that fits in the top of a small bucket. I put the corks in there, spray them with a bit of solution, and let them sit a few minutes while I get the rest of my bottling equipment ready. So far so good.

I use the hand corker. I've gotten pretty quick with it. I haven't fallen for the hype, Brian.

Two points:

1. I agree with you Brian, if the double lever corker is used correctly and with a little experience, it works fine. There are techniques that make for successful corking. I still use my floor corker for most bottling because I feel it is quicker. I tend to fill bottles and cork at the same time; the floor corker is fast enough that I can get a bottle corked before the bottle being filled overflows.

2. I insert all my corks dry, but I do store them in a sanitary environment. I use a plastic coffee can with lid to store my open bags of corks. In the bottom of the can, I've placed a small plastic pill bottle with a hole in the top. I put K-meta in the pill bottle. As the K-meta evaporates, it keeps the corks from drying out and the sulfite vapors keep the corks sanitized.

Jet, NEVER boil the corks. You can damage them by boiling.

I use a "salad spinner" and place the corks in the basket, the solution in the outer vessel and put the top on them to let the gas work for about 15 minutes prior to bottling.

I have fallen for the "hype" and I love my floor corker. I fill my 25-30 bottles and place them in cases and then take one at a time and cork them WHILE SITTING. All are consistent cork depth and all work very easily.

"Different strokes for different folks."

Two points:

I tend to fill bottles and cork at the same time; the floor corker is fast enough that I can get a bottle corked before the bottle being filled overflows.
QUOTE]

I could / can fill & cork at the same time with either corker. While one is filling, the I cork the bottle before it & set it aside. I keep a row of clean, sanitized bottles in a row & just pull out the the filler, put it into the next & cork the full one. Never any issues.

Don't get me wrong, it is a little easier with the floor corker. mainly because you don't handle it, it stays in the same place, but not as much as I expected after reading all the posts.

Corking is the easy part, either corker works great! it's the removing lables & sanitizing that takes me time & effort.

Brian

Jet, NEVER boil the corks. You can damage them by boiling.

Oh heavens no! Angelina just asked about sanitizing corks and that was the name of the article I posted in response.

Yes, some of us make/use a corkadore. We put meta in a pot and then add a colander which we then add the corks, add lid. Meta will sanitize anything in there just by the fumes. No reason to soak or spray them using this method.

Thank you for all the good information. Good to know that they come pre sanitized but I think for my own peace of mind I will sanitize them anyway. Either by spraying my sanitizing solution on them or by putting meta in a pot and then add a colander, add the corks, add lid, like Tom suggested. I wouldn't want to chance spoiling a batch of wine by assuming they they were pre sanitized correctly when it is that easy to prevent the nasty's.

I would not spray them. This will make the corks slide back out easier if they were going to pop. Also meta solution for sanitizing is corrosive causing your corker to rust. I sanitize my corker with alcohol and use a corkidore for the corks.

Thanks Runningwolf
Do you use a grain or rubbing alcohol?

I would not spray them. This will make the corks slide back out easier if they were going to pop. Also meta solution for sanitizing is corrosive causing your corker to rust. I sanitize my corker with alcohol and use a corkidore for the corks.

Angelina please do keep asking. It prevents accidents and there are other folks out there wondering the same thing. I only use the alcohol on items that are corrosive. I keep it in a small spray bottle to sanitize the nozzle of my bottling nozzle and my corker. I also like to do what Steve does and that's spraying a paper towel and then wadding it up and pushing it through the corker just like a cork.

Do you have to put your bottles on their side 3 days after bottling or can you let them stand up?

Do you have to put your bottles on their side 3 days after bottling or can you let them stand up?

Short term your OK but the corks will dry out and the wine will spoil if you don't lay them on their side before too long.

Latest posts

Back