cork suggestions? (and hey everyone!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sholomy

Reaction score
hey people longtime no talk! but the season is fast upon us! i ordered 500lbs of grapes i bought the all in one wine pump and a floor corker and im all set to bottle my 2012 carboys but im not happy with the number 8 corks i got from ebay; theyre smaller than standard. any suggestion for top quality corks? toda!

Take a look at Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

If you have a floor corker, then #9 corks are preferred.

For long-term storage, I prefer Nomacorc (synthetic):

high quality Natural vs high quality Synthetic:
1) No risk of cork taint with Synthetic
2) Natural does allow some breathing of the wine (which I think is a good thing).
3) Some floor corkers tend to score the Synthetic. Naturals are more forgiving.

If you have a floor corker, then #9 corks are preferred.

For long-term storage, I prefer Nomacorc (synthetic):

high quality Natural vs high quality Synthetic:
1) No risk of cork taint with Synthetic
2) Natural does allow some breathing of the wine (which I think is a good thing).
3) Some floor corkers tend to score the Synthetic. Naturals are more forgiving.

Rich -
Those are the ones I prefer also - mainly because most all my bottles are upright for a long time. I also push down the cork an additional 1/4'' and add wax to it for that extra protection.

I just corked 90 bottles last friday -

We also like the Nomacorc--and use #9's as suggested. We have pushed many thousands of these corks and can vouch for consistent performance with no problems.

I've been using Nomacorc 900 for bottles that are earmarked for gifting. No need to remind folks to store laying down in order to keep cork moist. Bottles that are likely to stay at home have been getting a hodgepodge of various #9 amalgamated corks.

Nomacorc rep recommended the 900s for use with my I talian floor corker. Even sent me a bag of 50 to try for myself.

The OH store has them. Cheap if you are already ordering something else.

Otherwise, my LHBS has them too.

where is everyone getting nomacorc corks

Heads up... Don't know why but Nomacorc recommended I use their Select 900 Series with my Italian floor corker.

Here is the cheapest I've found them. Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Back