Convection Microwave or Standard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our 15 y/o microwave is about ready to die. Anyone have any experience with the Convection Microwaves. Not looking to spend a ton.

I think if you didn't have an oven available it would be nice since you can brown foods in it. We have one at our cabin in the mountains, just thought it was overkill since we have an oven and three outdoor grills to choose from (plus they are closer to the beer and wine fridge).

I have a convection feature on my oven at home and use it, especially cooking pizza inside. I crank it up to about 500/525 and it does a really nice job, especially if you have the proper pan for the crust (small holes in bottom).

Check prices as they were quite a bit more expensive than a normal microwave when we got ours, but that was quite a few years ago.

Doug, I guess it would depend on what the difference in price is for with or without convection. I am of the "I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" school, so we have a gas range and oven, an electric oven and a convection microwave. In the interest of full disclosure, I just checked with my Bride and she has not used the convection feature to date, but we have only had the appliances about 4 years.

100_1037.jpg

100_1038.jpg

We just went thru the nightmare of buying a new microwave about a year back. Whatever you think you have decided upon I strongly recommend checking buyer feedback and even purchasing the insurance even tho I am not a big buyer of insurance. It took 4 microwaves of diff kinds to find one that continued to work after 6 months time. Even the same make and model we had previously turned out to have one flaky microwave that didn't work when we brought it home. Luckily the replacement one did work. Honestly, it was a bit of a nightmare. We wound up with a Panasonic brand Inverter (not really sure what that means tho) with a very large rotating cooking area and 1250 watts. We use a 16" pizza cooking stone with no problem.

Pam in cinti

I have both and use both. I have a toaster oven that has convection and we use it all the time. Mine is a Breville I got at Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon. I am not familier with a convection microwave.

The difference in price is anywhere from $200 to $500, obviously I wasn't looking for an $800 microwave. I checked reviews and spoke with someone who has one. They liked them. Guess I'll go searching this weekend. Ours isn't far from death I'm afraid. We were initially looking at the Whirlpool 1.9 CF unit. Has pretty good reviews from what I saw. I'll check out my options..

Last edited:
We put in a convection microwave when we remodeled our kitchen about 7 years ago. We don't use the convection piece often but we are entering the time of year when it will get a workout. Nothing like having an additional oven during the Holidays.

Latest posts

Back