Concrete Tanks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think i would....concrete is porous unless you line it. it also will leech out lime, calcium,etc...not a good thing with wine....
you might be able to line it with some sort of clay product, are compressed blown glass.
why would you do this when you can buy either hdpe are ss.

I dont think i would....concrete is porous unless you line it. it also will leech out lime, calcium,etc...not a good thing with wine....
you might be able to line it with some sort of clay product, are compressed blown glass.
why would you do this when you can buy either hdpe are ss.

I totally agree James ^^^^

I know its what they used to do many many eons ago but we have learned many things since then. Some are just improvements and some are necessities!

Are you guys kidding! This (concrete eggs) are currently the HOTTEST thing in fermentation vessels. Not so much for amateurs but for commercial wineries and white wines.

3764990236_e2149b72fa_o.jpg

those are not just concrete...there is all kinds of additives in the concrete...
so yes..there concrete, but not the kind that we pour our sidewalks out of....there is a difference.

Wrong again James. These are "real" concrete eggs. And they use the same "cement" available to the rest of us. They do not add any "extra" additives.

http://www.concretewinetanks.com/video/video-03.htm

http://www.concretewinetanks.com/video/video-04.htm

They are made without using chemical additives, according to Nomblot “from washed Loire sand, gravel, non-chlorinated spring water”, and cement. There is no iron added during manufacture of the eggs. Because the concrete is unlined it must be treated with tartaric acid solutions before use, and tested with a further solution to ensure there is no reaction.

Last edited:
Well than I stand corrected but it just doesnt sound very food grade to me! I personally wouldnt like my wine in there. Who the hell knows whats in that concrete and what your wine could get exposed to.

Well they have been used (off and on) in winemaking for centuries. The egg makers know exactly what goes into it. No "extra" additives and it is porous which gives it some very unique properties. They have been using these for white wines for a couple years now (in the States) especially Sauv Blancs. The minerality expressed in the wines "are" said to be off the charts! :)

Mike
Thanks for that information - I was able to Google it more and learn alot more on this subject

Thanks

Wagner Family (Caymus) has a white wine Mersoleil unoaked that they ferment in unlined concrete tanks. They sell it in a silver ceramic bottle to symbolize the concrete thank they still use today.

Well i quess if you can age in a concrete tank, you can surely use a pvc tub.
Most people dont regard concrete as a food grade material, but maybe the experts do...dont know...
Thanks for the info..i looked it up on the net also...very interesting.

i made some concrete counter tops a few years back..i was looking for a mix ratio and found this video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfL3kjFhcdM[/ame]

Last month we went to California to research wines caves and underground facilities to plan for our cellaring and storage needs. We had an awesome time and learned a lot about many things including the use of concrete tanks. The wine tasted great, BTW. I make many things on my own and plan to make a concrete tank, also. I would like to know more from those with first hand knowledge. Thanks for your replies.

I have mixed hundreds of yards of concrete and used many different mix ratios....There is no such thing as white concrete, as the inside of most of this egg containers. There is no such thing as shiny concrete...They have to use additives are coatings to get to this...
Yes, they use washed sand, and spring water, etc in the concrete...
I am betting that there is coating on the inside...
Even getting concrete that smooth is a chore, if at all..and then your lather will go to the bottom making pot marks...

I know for a fact that the Gallo brothers were using HUGE concrete storage tanks as far back as the late 50's (large and underground). Use of concrete is nothing new.

I prefer stainless simply because it does not crack, is more malleable, easier to clean, and is much more light weight.

Latest posts

Back