concord wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radio11

Junior
Reaction score
Just pressed some concords today,and now have about 22 lt.now need a
Recipe.can anyone help?thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Do you have any numbers on the juice you can give us to help give you suggestions on what may need to be adjusted?

Just pressed some concords today,and now have about 22 lt.now need a
Recipe.can anyone help?thanks.

I got one for peanut butter cookies will that work? Really, Radio first off welcome to our forum. Did you check our recipe section? Lots of good stuff there. We have a great search link also to find what you're looking for. What have you made so far? How about going to our introductions thread and telling us a bit about yourself. We have lots of great members from up north.

Runningwolf,thanks but no on the peanut butter cookies,there is one on the jar!little bit about me,we make mostly kit or juice wine(pails)on average about 2500 bottles a year.but i was given these concords,and we pressed them.really what i am looking for is the ratio of water to juice,most recipes i see call for about a 4-1 ratio.then add your sugar for a starting sg of some were in the area of 1.090.am i on the right track?

Do you have the ability to test for TA or PH? If not I'd suggest watering back a little at a time and tasting as you go rather then look for a ratio to use right away. You'll probably overshoot what your juice needs for an adjustment if you can't track it by testing or taste. Watering back will make for a thinner tasting wine too if a fare amount of water is added to the must.

Hey racer,thanks for the reply.at this point it is siting at about 4.5 ph.thats at a 4 to 1/juice water.would like to try for a full body.try and keep the flavor of the grapes.also going to try for abv of about 10-11%.

If you have a hydrometer, add sugar till 1.07. With a 4 to 1 water mix you should be alittle week , just add a can of welshes concentrate at last of fermentation. to give it the flavor and body. Do stabilize first and if you want it a little sweeter juice welches cocktail instead of juice

Concord will never be shy on flavor or aroma. It looks like you did over shoot the adjustment with a ph of 4.5. If you can't adjust the ph back to around 3.6 you'll need to consume this wine young. The higher the ph the more so2 is needed to keep the wine protected and at 4.5 you would be able to smell and taste the so2 needed to try and protect the wine. In order to keep the wine from being too thin you have other options to try to reduce a high acid juice. Some of them are1. use a yeast that does consume/convert malic acid.
2. reduce the acidity in the juice with calcium or potasium bi-carbonate.3. Put the wine thru Malo-lactic fermentation.

I agree with mmadmikes1 you can add concentrate back to the wine after primary is done and the wine has been stablized so it wont re-ferment on you.

Latest posts

Back