Concord primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a fining agent as you suggest, altho it looks really clear. I looked for K-meta, for sanitizer but could not find it on this website, what do you suggest for a subsitute? Do I use this to sanitize the bottles? And if I just soak the bottles in the sanitizer is that ok? Do I degas & add the fining agent on the next racking and then bulk age for a month, do I add the backsweetening just before bottling or now? Am I stupid or what?
Thank god for you help.

Try potassium metabisulfite

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6012B

No you are not stupid, you are learning just like me...............

For cleaning the bottles I use an oxiclean type cleaner then rinse them. I then use a sanitizing solution made with 2 tbs k-meta (potassium metabisulfite) and use this handy dandy device to sanitize the bottles right before bottling. You could however use a spray bottle dedicated to k-meta, just be sure that you spray generously into the bottle.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4818

Edited by: gaudet

K is the Chemical name for Potassium as NA is the chemical name for Sodium.

smiley9.gif
Thanks all for the help! I think I got it except for when to add the back sweetener, now or when I bottle. Feel like I should send you all a bottle if it turns out. Thanks again.

You can sweeten now as long as it has finished fermenting, you have added both k-meta and sorbate to prevent any re fermentation. You should give it a few days to make sure that it doesnt start to ferment again.

geri said:
smiley9.gif
Thanks all for the help! I think I got it except for when to add the back sweetener, now or when I bottle. Feel like I should send you all a bottle if it turns out. Thanks again.

You mean when it turns out
smiley20.gif

Well, I guess I dont "get it" yet. Irack, add campden (2 tablets for 3 gallons), degass, backsweeten and let bulk age. What is this about adding K-meta?? Thought that was a sanitizer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, of course it is going to turn out....with your help!
smiley4.gif
You mean I need to add pot...metabisulfate? How much??Edited by: geri

geri said:
Well, I guess I dont "get it" yet. Irack, add campden (2 tablets for 3 gallons), degass, backsweeten and let bulk age. What is this about adding K-meta?? Thought that was a sanitizer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, of course it is going to turn out....with your help!
smiley4.gif
You mean I need to add pot...metabisulfate? How much??

Campden is K-Meta in tablet form, 1 tablet per gallon for preserving wine.

Degass is stirring the wine to release the CO2 that forms during fermentation, this is done after your wine is finished fermenting in the secondary.

Stabilize is to prevent the yeast from reproducing. It is done by a combination of K-meta or Campden (1 tablet per gallon) and Potassium Sorbate aka K-sorb ( I don't remember if the amount is 1/4 tsp per gallon wine) This is done after your wine is finished fermenting. Fermentation is complete when you have a consistent hydrometer
SG reading 3 days in a row and no airlock activity.

Backsweeten is to adjust the sugar content of your finished wine to
your taste after fermentation is complete and you have stabilized the
wine.

Hope this helps....
Edited by: gaudet

geri it is all in a name.

campden tablet= pill form of potassium metabisilfite = k-meta
unless it is the sodium form of campden and then it is
campden = sodium metabisulfite = na - meta

1 tablet per gallon = preservative/anti-oxidant
5-6 tabs per 5-6 gallon batch = 1/4 tsp k-meta/na-meta

2 TABLESPOONS k-meta (or na-meta) per gallon water = cleaner/sanitizer
you can sanitize with a whole bunch of tabs, but it takes a lot to equal 2 Tablespoons of k-metaEdited by: appleman

Please dont forget to add Potassium sprbate at the ratio of 1/2 tsp per gallon or you will have exploding bottles!

Latest posts

Back