Concord Blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep Sara--you know all about the Niagara lime, don't you--LOL.

We sweeten to about a 1.020 SG because it takes a moderate amount of sugar to balance the tartness of the lime. Only make enough to last 6 months or less because as Sara eluded to, it won't age well.

Yep Sara--you know all about the Niagara lime, don't you--LOL.

We sweeten to about a 1.020 SG because it takes a moderate amount of sugar to balance the tartness of the lime. Only make enough to last 6 months or less because as Sara eluded to, it won't age well.

LOL--guilty as charged! Heck, I never have to worry about it aging. I am seriously considering bag-in-the-box for the next batch!

Thanks Julie--we'll give it a try on the BB.

When we experimented with the anise, we used 1 small and one large anise in a gallon of concord. The anise wasn't strong, just in the background. So we now have a 5 gallon batch going using the same proportion we used in the one gallon. 6 gallons would take about 6 small and 6 large anise--monitor it and remove the wine when you think the taste is to your liking. In the gallon batch, I think we left it on the anise for about 3 months or so.

I like the idea of the cranberry with concord--not something I'd ever think about. We have some cranberry in secondary ferment right now. We'll give it a try when we get it aged.

Other blends we do with concord is with elderberry and we make a burgundy/concord blend too that is very good. We use Alexander's concentrate for the burgundy.[/
QUOTE]

Hi Everyone! I know this is an old thread but I am about to harvest my concord/fredonia grapes and have TONS of elderberries. Turock I am interested in your post here that you have made a blend. I was thinking of instead of blending two finished wines possibly fermenting elderberries with my concord/fredonias? Do you have a rough recipe or even feedback on best ratio of elderberries to grapes? And how many lbs per gal? If you don't mind sharing? Thanks in advance!

We never co-ferment them because it's kind of hard to figure out what proportion you need of each to make a balanced wine. Elderberries have such a strong flavor so you don't want to over-power the concord. Because I have no experience in the co-fermenting of these two, I really can't offer any advice.

Latest posts

Back