Concerned... Smell/Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bover907

Reaction score
I keep reading where people say their wine smells 'good' when fermenting, and many say they taste when racking, and that it 'tastes good', etc.

I started my first batch of wine (6 gal) on Sept 17th. (Welch's Concord Concentrate, I used 3 cans per gallon).
I used EC-1118 as I didn't really know what to get when I bought the stuff.

9/18 pitched yeast, Starting SG was 1.090
9/21 Racked to Secondary, SG 1.018
9/30 SG .998 for a couple days, Racked off gross lees with K-Meta, Degassed with hand vacuum pump, topped with about a pint of water.
Since then, the wine has dropped a little more sediment, but is still hazy

Anyway, back to my question... While the wine was fermenting, I thought it smelled hideous! I also thought it tasted just as bad when racking it. I was kind of worried about the smell/taste, but while racking, My daughter (who bakes pretzels at work) said "Oh God, that smells like Yeast!" That makes me wonder if I'm worrying about nothing. Am I just tasting the yeast? Will this go away as the wine clears? I did let the sample I took sit in the glass for a bit, and some slight concord aroma started to come through, but it still had that very yeasty? smell/taste

Also, I was wondering (since the thought of tasting an actively fermenting wine, with trillions of living yeast cells, grosses me out), do people swallow the wine when they taste it, or spit it out? I know that's a stupid question, but I stress over this stuff a little. So, someone please assure me I didn't make a batch of junk! Thanks.

Recipe I used, *6 with Lavlin EC1118
3 11.5 oz cans Welchs or Old Orchard 100% frozen juice concentrate (only 2 cans if making raspberry)
1 lbs granulated sugar to start then test SG and adjust to 1.080 to 1.090
2 tsp acid blend (or if possible test and add acid blend to TA .60)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2-tsp bentonite (only if you will be doing the fast clear method)
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast - (Red Star Cote des Blanc or Premier Cuvee)

The yeasty smell, taste, can be very overpowering during a fermentation. After the ferment is done, the smell and taste will gradually go away. Your welches is not a strong flavor or smell and the yeast could very well cover up the smell and taste. Let it ferment out, wait a week or two, then take a taste. Should be gettin better. Arne.

I'll just wait and taste it again around 1st November when I rack it again. Hopefully it'll start to taste better. I'm still not sure what order to sorbate, backsweeten, and if/when to use sparkalloid. Seems everyone does it in a different order.

give it lots of time. 6 to 8 months will really make a huge difference.

OK, so after a month since the initial racking, I racked it off the additional sediment again. It still tastes like crap to me. I can sense a faint concord grape smell coming through, but it still has this nasty taste and aroma. How do I know when it's a loss, or if it just needs more time? I don't know if I'm still suffering from 'first batch anxiety', or if I actually screwed this stuff up. I tried to do everything according to all the stuff I'd read.

Dont toss anything before its a year old, basically - provided its been properly managed.

It's a month, maybe 6 weeks old? It's still so young all its gonna taste like is "green"/tart & alcohol.. Wont smell like much at this point, compared to the future.

Give it some time, keep the carboy topped up, dont let the airlock dry out, rack it off additional sediment when it falls out in a decent amount (dont wanna rack too much)..

I sense lots of anxiety :)

PS - my sister swears fermentation smells like "throw up" - so not everyone loves it, it doesnt matter what i make, "it stinks" :) ... Just might not be your "thing", but thats alright - the wine will improve if you've followed some sanitation guidelines, had a "happy fermentation", and keep it managed as it ages

First let me say welcome to the addiction. With that being said..your not making beer or mad dog 20/20 or even boons farm. It takes time lots of time. Yes k-meta, sorbate then back sweeten will make it taste sweeter. But you are using grapes concentration so be patient. Hell Barolo takes about 10years to be perfect but the first 3yrs the tannins could make your mouth think its in the sahara. Give it a year then taste if it bad its only 1 gallon. If you want something with a fast turnaround check out dragons blood or skeeter pee. Its drinkable in 6 weeks if your in a hurry. As for what you made you could also add some oak for flavor.

bover907 said:
I'll just wait and taste it again around 1st November when I rack it again. Hopefully it'll start to taste better. I'm still not sure what order to sorbate, backsweeten, and if/when to use sparkalloid. Seems everyone does it in a different order.

Also to ease your mind. Kmeta every couple of months if ur not testing the free SO2. Go light. Cuz the average is 1/8 to 1/4 tsp per 6gallons. And you sorbate with k-meta then wait a week to back sweeten. As for the sparkoloid. That's a personal choice. Most people like to rush and bottle so they want a clear wine when doing so. That's why they add hot sparkoloid. But if you leave it sit in the carboy,demijon. It will clear on it own in time. Hope that helps

I don't have any that taste good after a month, even skeeter pee takes more time than that. It probably hasn't even starting clearing yet.

i'll take first batch anxiety for 100.00. jk.

i've noticed the yeasty smell and taste in skeeter pee when using the ec1118 is much stronger than
other yeasts, so i mostly use the others, but you will probably not have it near as much after it is done and bottled.

OK, guys/gals. That definitely eases my mind. I was hoping to have this stuff be drinkable by around Chirstmas / Jan 1, time frame, but it looks like that's unrealistic. Not sure why I bought the EC-1118, but I also used it on my cranberry batch, and it seems to smell the same way, so it must just be the yeast.

BTW, it wasn't just one gallon, but 6 gallons. That's why I'm a little more worried. Anyway, since it seemed pretty clear at this racking, I moved it to the basement now, so I can just leave it sit there a couple/few more months, and forget about it, save for making sure the airlock stays topped up.

Thanks all for easing my mind.

I'm wondering how they make 6 and 8 week kits, when something as ghetto as welch's even takes a few months!

Don't forget to keep tasting as time goes on. Bet you will be suprised at how much it improves. Try and keep the wine gremlins at bay. They are greedy little suckers and like big glasses instead of just tastes. Arne.

Latest posts

Back