COMPUTER VIRUS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
YIKES!!!!
Last week my computer crashed..it was awful...I lost everything....I feel so violated ...
Hope I didn't spread the virus to anyone from my uploads...
Now it is like having a new computer...have to reload everything and start over again....So it goes!!!

That hurts. What did you do to fix it, uninstall everything and reinstall or is there more involved.

Uninstall and reinstall...everything....
Photos are gone forever, but oftan use regular camaera as well as the digital, so have some hard copies of special occasions..
For some reason I am not able to use the Emoticons on this Forum anymore....will keep trying...?

NW, Thanks for sharing your horrible experience. I have been there and done that more times than I care to think about. But you give a great reminder of how important it is to do backups of those critical files and precious pictures that we have. Off to store for some CD's.

I have most of everything in my computer on seperate hard drives that are
in boxes in my room just for this reason. I hve 60 gigs of music that I
have collected over 18 years of downloading and if I were to lose all
that it would be a disaster.
Edited by: wadewade

Now I see that I can't use the Emoticons...nor can I upload any photos to this Site.....no Pop-Up boxes appear.....must have to adjust the Pop-Up blocker....there use to be a line that would "Allow Pop-Ups from This Site"...now it is no longer there....
Better Download more Upgrades...

When you click on the emoticons, hold either the shift key, or the control key down. The shift key opens up a small window, the Ctrl key open a new iewindow. I would rather do that than turn off the pop up blocker.

Try going into your browsers tool box and look for pop up manager.

or go into control panel in your start up menu and go into security
center and then go into internet settings and check your privacy
setting. If set at high try lowering it down to medium.

Been there...done that....going to call my repair guy on Monday.
I don't see any Pop-Up blocker in the tools, but there is for sure one working.
Looks like there are 3 anti-Virus programs in here now....probably working against each other....
We'll see what Monday's conversation brings....
Meanwhile...loading programs and redoing the Checkbook...yuck!!!

Northern Winos said:
Meanwhile...loading programs and redoing the Checkbook...yuck!!!

I'm sorry, NW. It's happened to me too and it's not the least bit fun.
But look on the bright side. You must have money! You still have checks! =))

I'm sorry to hear about that happening, NW, but unfortunately, it does with alarming regularity. It is a sad state of affairs when one has to protect oneself with a firewall, anti-virus software, anti-spyware software, and gross suspicion of anything 'out of the ordinary'. This is just another arguement for separate computers, one for storage of irreplaceable items, and regular work, and a second for internet only. Even this does not preclude the need for the aforementioned software protection on both computers. I might add that anti-spyware is every bit as important as anti-virus software.

Cheers,
Otto

Very true otto. Thats pretty much what I do and even take it further by
having spare hardrives that I store alot of info on. I have a few 300
gig hardrives just for this purchase.

We are think ing about getting another computer just for Internet and emails and one for the checkbook/taxes/photos and other programs...
Things had been going so good...don't know what happened nor where it came from...Poooof!!!! It was all history.
On the bright side...got stuff installed again, like a new computer....BUT...still can't UpLoad my photos to this Site...Will work on that.....too many Anti-Virus things going on...will talk to the Techie tomorrow....just happy I can read and Post on this Site:>)Edited by: Northern Winos

You've reminded how important back up is. But first, I clean things out of the "hard drive closet" so I have less getting in my way.

Latest posts

Back