Compromise in Patience!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch of wine... Well half of it! I bought a 3 gallon carboy and racked half in there for bulk aging. I bottled 13 bottles and we drank another as I bottled. It was a hit!

I soaked my corks but did not need all of them. Will I be able to later use the ones I soaked tonight or should I just throw them out?

Thanks for all your help! This is a great forum!

If you're using a hand corker with #9 corks I understand you do need to soak them to get them to go into the bottle. With a floor corker there is no need to soak at all.

I have a hand corker. Can I still use the corks I soaked and didn't use?

What did you soak them with? If you used a heavy sulfite solution then probably yes but just to be bsure keep them in their own ziplock bag seperate from your other corks to be sure.

I respectfully disagree with Wade (sorry boss). I personally would not save them. I am not positive of this but I would be afraid of the meta breaking them down and mold problems in the plastic bag. We're talking about maybe a $0.15 cork vs. a year of labor on good wine.

I do not reuse my corks after soaking them. I have tried both the soak and non soak method... with my hand corker its MUCH MUCH MUCH easier when I soak them bad boys! But i toss what I dont use. Better safe than sorry ;)

I respectfully disagree with Wade (sorry boss). I personally would not save them. I am not positive of this but I would be afraid of the meta breaking them down and mold problems in the plastic bag. We're talking about maybe a $0.15 cork vs. a year of labor on good wine.

I think you have a good point. I use to put the corks in the bottom of the bottle tree when I santized the bottles and left them soak in the sanitizer that dripped out of the bottles, those corks started to deteriorate in the bottles several months after bottling, I now just dip them in the sanitizer prior to using and I do not have that problem anymore

Latest posts

Back