cold storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
Does anyone do the cold stabilizing to remove the tartaric acid crystals, the instructions say to store at 29 to 34 degrees, I guess I could put it in the freezer and monitor the temps closely. What is the common way. bk

I fired up an old fridge that I had down the basement, and put a thermometer in to see what the temps are. When should you do cold stabilizing? Should you do this even if you have added acid? This kind of goes back to bulk aging, only it's in the fridge. bk

Hey homer, you're just down the road. I've done it in the back of my fridge (very cold) seems to have helped some, but I'm not very experienced with this, sorry!

IMO - i would do it after fermentation is complete, stabilized, degassed, backsweetened. I "think" you can cold stabilize when you add fining agents. I usually do the CS before fining - if i add fining agents at all.

IMO - i would do it after fermentation is complete, stabilized, degassed, backsweetened. I "think" you can cold stabilize when you add fining agents. I usually do the CS before fining - if i add fining agents at all.

I would CS then hit it with finings. So I agree.:se

Is CS done with reds only? So the theory is you put the carboy in the fridge wait a couple of weeks, and then either re-rack or bottle? bk

Is CS done with reds only? So the theory is you put the carboy in the fridge wait a couple of weeks, and then either re-rack or bottle? bk

Actually whites are more commonly cold stabilized. Since white wines are refrigerated before serving (or at least cooled), they are more likely to get hazy or drop acid crystals then. By cold stabilizing them, you help get rid of these problems, or at least lessen them. It can also help the wine to clear.

CS them, rack off the crystals into a clean carboy and then either bottle or let age some more.

So what is the ideal temperature for cold stabilization? How long is recommended? I noticed a bottle of our sav blanc dropped crystals after being in the fridge for a week or so. We forgot it was in there.

And these "acid crystals" will be absorbed back into the wine after it warms up? bk

Last edited:
Back