Cold fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Morn'n

Had a little warm spell here so quickly made up a couple of kits that I had around. There was a Chianti and aValpochella. Well, got them started and they both had a starting sg of 1.100. By they way, I added 2 gallons of last years syrah must to each of the primaries (that I had frozen).So this is the reason for the higher starting sg i believe.This is the 7th day and the sg is 1.010. Seemed like it went down pretty fast. The temp dropped again and the Valpochella is at 65 degrees and the Chianti is at 58. I only have one brew belt so was changing it back and forth to keep sorta warm. So, my question is - did the cold temps stop/slow/speed upthe fermentation or did it continue on once it started? Even though the sg had dropped quickly just makes me wonder. Guess that I better get them in the secondaries under an airlock and let 'go!

By they way, the 2008 syrah is coming on nicely and there are sure differences between the different oaks.

We had the folks from Bella La Vina Wnery up for a tasting and dinner last night. They loved all the syrah's. They made a suggestion for me to think about. I have 12 gallons of syrah american oak heavy; 6 gallons of hungarian oak house; and 12 gallons of french oak house blend and 6 gallons of zero oak. They suggested blending it all in a 30 gallon american oak medium toast barrel and let sit for a year. Wow - what a suggestion.
Do I take a chance and do this orkeep them each separately.

Maybe I should make a 'glass blend' of all 4 and see what it is like today!!!
This is sure a different twist on things!!!! hummmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanx

rrawhide
smiley5.gif

The cold may have affected the fermentation. You may need to pick up another brew belt. We need cool belts in Florida, or a constant supply of ice.
smiley2.gif

I like the idea of throwing all the syrah's in a barrel. However I would also take some of each and bottle just so you can compare.
VPC

rrawhide,
If you're going to blend, definitely bench test by sampling different proportions in different glasses. If Chance were the best at blending, wineries would employ that technique as well. The more wines you are blending, the more complicated the procedure. Some people go with the blend + one method, in which you blend the first two to make something better, then blend that blend with another single and so on until all your wines are incorporated. I personally use a more mathematical method of testing. So for four wines, your taste tests may look something like this (four wines marked with letters)...

Four tastes of pure wine: A, B, C, D
Equal Blend: 1 part A + 1 part B + 1 part C + 1 part D
Proposed 'barrel' Ratio from your post: 2 parts A + 1 part B +2 parts C +1 part D
A Emphasis Test: 3 parts A + 1 part B + 1 part C + 1 part D
BEmphasis Test: 1 part A + 3 parts B + 1 part C + 1 part D
CEmphasis Test: 1 part A + 1 part B + 3 parts C + 1 part D
DEmphasis Test: 1 part A + 1 part B + 1 part C + 3 parts D

If you taste all those seven combinations, it should help you determine which of them works best for you. It will also give you a clue as to whether or not all of that needed any additional oak. And remember, these combinations work if you are absolutely going to use all four in the wine. Tasting each of these measured combinationsshould help you determine which of them would work best.

Commercial wineries do just this process to figure out how they want to present their particular wines. If, after you calculate the best blend, there is juice left over from the remnant parts, you have some 'single test' bottles to compare against the blend to see how you did over time.

Hope that helps,

- Jim

I was trying to figure out how I would "blend" in the future and you've given me a great foundation for sampling and verifying dominant or preferable characteristics that I might appreciate.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back