WineXpert Cold fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
My Okanagan Peach Ice Wine has been fermenting slow at around 65-66 degrees. Tomorrow is Day 7 and I don't think it's through yet. I'm thinking I should wait for fermentation to finish before the next racking.

Yes?

If you are going by the directions of a kit and your must has been 65 degrees all this time, then I would fall back on the SG not the day. The SG sould be 1.020 to 1.010 before you rack on most kits. Most directions say that 65 is ok? I think that you run a risk ofstalled fermentation after racking at that temp. ( just my thoughts)

yeah, the instructions say 65-75 for fermentation. I have the heat pump set at 68 during the day, 70-71 in the evenings, but the small (cheap) thermometer on top of the bucket stays at 65-66.

I should probably invest in an electric blanket wrap thing for temperature stabilization, no?

I have to this time of year. Ihave had more than one kit stall at SG1.020 after racking at that temp. I had to warm it up and pitch yeat again. All said and done it set me back about two weeks. I have seen people use anything from electric heating pads and blankets to reptile heat plates in a pinch. Some kits just like to stall. You might not have one of them.
I would rack with a SG from 1.020 - 1.010.However would first get the temp up some and the yeast more active. If for some reason this is not posible. I would stir well before racking and leave very little behind.

Has anyone had any poblems with this kit?

This is an Ice Wine kit and will never reach that SG of 1.020 as the starting sg was about 1.160. You should rack it around 1.080 as I have and it will pick back up but still ferment slowly for quite some time. The act of transferring wll get it going a little better by introducing a little 02 and stirring up some of those yeasties that had become buried with sediment. I have about the same temps as you trashy and am using a Brew Belt just to get the temp up to 70 as I have each belt wrapped around 2 carboys cause Im cheap and dont want to but 2 more belts. It is taking some time for this to ferment out but thats a good thing with any white or fruit wine. Have you tasted this stuff yet? I took a sample when racking from primary and must say this was the best stuff I have ever tasted at this point of any batch to date and thats a lot of batches. It had a lot of pineapple to it and am actually thinking of witholding like a gallon of this stuff(I have 6 gallons going) and not adding the F-Pack if it still tastes like that when done fermenting.

Ok, Wade,? You woud still go with the SG of 1.080 and not the day 7 ?
I like slow fermentaion. However racking at 65 degrees scares me. 10 more degrees and they are asleep for the winter. Edited by: Rocky Top

This kit uses a yeast that is good down to around 45* so 65* isnt pushing the envelope for this particular yeast strain.Other yeasts will certainly be much less forgiving at these temps. Lots of wine makers actually rack to glass and keep them in there cellar fro the rest of the duration at around 55*. Racking now will only invigorate yeast fermentation with the added 02. This kit will finish off with a sg off around 1.055-1.065. I must add that I always do feel a little more secure with slightly warmer temps but refuse to heat a room just for a batch of wine and havent had any stalls.
Trashy, what is the sg now?
Edited by: wade

Thanks Wade, And now we know
Sorry Trashy........ I need to learn more about Ice wine.

Just dble checked. Red Star Premier Cuvee came with my Peach Ice wine kit and have seen Lalvin EC 1118 come with some of their other kits but both have a temp range from 45* - 95*.

well i finally got around to racking - it was still bubbling every so often but the SG turned out to be 1.070 so all is good. And the taste is good too! Yum!
smiley20.gif

A heating pad under the primary or carboy works great too for warming her up

Latest posts

Back