Cold Crashing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBell

Reaction score
How long are you supposed to cold crash for? I have a chest freezer and would like to try cold crashing a few of my wines, but not sure how long to leave them in there for.
Thanks

I go for about a month. I put them in my refrigerator and the temp gets down to about 36. I just took a Seyval and a Vidal Blanc out. I am always amazed at the amount of tartaric acid that comes out.

And don't forget to rack almost as soon as you take them out of the cold. Don't let them warm up first, some of that tartaric acid will probably go back into suspension. Then remember to leave just a bit more headspace than normal (like 3 or 4 inches, it will expand as it warms to fill).

Last edited:
What does cold crashing do? I have room in my freezer but am afraid the glass will bust

What does cold crashing do? I have room in my freezer but am afraid the glass will bust

You're going to have to have a controller of some kind to keep the temp from getting much below freezing (32). A freezer without it will get much too cold.

Can I get away with leaving my carboy in my garage in nov or dec.
Usually here in Upstate NY, my garage can get anywhere from 45 down to 32 or below.

I was thinking of wrapping the carboy in a heavy blanket to protect from the fluctuations.

Is there a danger in fluctuating temp?

And is there such a thing as too cold?

Elmer, I'm in ny as well, wait another week or two and the daytime and night time temps won't be that far apart.
I leave mine out on the porch in a cabinet. Just make sure that you put vodka in the air lock, and I put a small plastic or Dixie type cup over the air lock to keep anything out.

Elmer, I'm in ny as well, wait another week or two and the daytime and night time temps won't be that far apart.
I leave mine out on the porch in a cabinet. Just make sure that you put vodka in the air lock, and I put a small plastic or Dixie type cup over the air lock to keep anything out.

Tom,
I assume you put vodka in there so it won't freeze?
Also, do you believe the dixie cup allows enough air/gas to escape through the little holes in the airlock cap?
Thanks.

Cold stabilization helps tartaric acid crystallize and fall to the bottom of your carboy. It really is aesthetic but also slightly lowers acidity and softens the wine.

LMAO!...I highly recommend tasting a bit of the vodka, just to make sure that it isn't spoiled, you have to make sure that it is good enough for use in wine making...LMAO!

Latest posts

Back