Coconut wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to call this one a non success. Still tastes vinegary. I backsweetenEd to 1.010. Tastes like sweet vinegary coconut wine now. Gonna sit for a few weeks. Then if it doesn’t taste like something I can use, I’ll water the plants with it or utilize it some other way.

Time to call this one a non success. Still tastes vinegary. I backsweetenEd to 1.010. Tastes like sweet vinegary coconut wine now. Gonna sit for a few weeks. Then if it doesn’t taste like something I can use, I’ll water the plants with it or utilize it some other way.
That would be a shame. You might find a large vessel to pour the wine into and expose it to the air. Don't keep it in your wine room, but in your kitchen or some other place far enough away from your wines. Acetic bacteria love alcohol in an aerobic environment and they will happily transform your wine into vinegar. You might help them in two ways. The first is to dilute the wine a little so that the ABV is as strong as a strong cider or beer (about 6 -9% ABV) . They can thrive in higher ABV environments but it can take longer. The second way to help them is to find some living vinegar and add some to this wine. In any event, after a few weeks or months, a mother will form - the mother being a mat of microbial matter which will float atop your wine/vinegar and which you can thereafter use to make batches of vinegar from other wines.

That would be a shame. You might find a large vessel to pour the wine into and expose it to the air. Don't keep it in your wine room, but in your kitchen or some other place far enough away from your wines. Acetic bacteria love alcohol in an aerobic environment and they will happily transform your wine into vinegar. You might help them in two ways. The first is to dilute the wine a little so that the ABV is as strong as a strong cider or beer (about 6 -9% ABV) . They can thrive in higher ABV environments but it can take longer. The second way to help them is to find some living vinegar and add some to this wine. In any event, after a few weeks or months, a mother will form - the mother being a mat of microbial matter which will float atop your wine/vinegar and which you can thereafter use to make batches of vinegar from other wines.
Hey Bernard, I just spent 10 days in Galway.

Bummer.
It may be a "non success" but it's an opportunity to play. Put some in a glass and add some acid. It might help....or you might have acidic vinegary coconut wine.

Oh, it might not be good for plants. :rolleyes:

Back