Coconut wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next wine will be a pineapple wine and I had planned to backsweeten with pina colada mix.

Just thinking about whether a coconut milk wine blended together with the pineapple wine would be better.

But to your point about coconut flavoring, maybe it's better if I stick with the original plan since the flavor that I am used to as coconut is what I think I want.

How about a sparkoloid treatment ?

Wow, when I started this hobby I had no idea the rabbit hole would be so big and bottomless...and that it connects to other rabbit holes!

Protein is positively charged and needs a negatively charged fining agent like bentonite and kieselsol. Sparkolloid is positively charged so wouldn't work.

I've read that some fining agents may affect taste, aroma, color and body. I prefer to go au naturale but sometimes you do what you gotta do.

Now I gotta be a scientist too ! ? Wow. Thanks. Very “positive” response.
I'm just curious about things. I was the kid annoying my parents and teachers with "Why?" and "Because I said so!" didn't offer a satisfactory explanation. I would have used the internet but Al Gore hadn't invented it yet. :h

.999 and not changing. Not dropping any lees apart from the fine white sediment it dropped a few weeks ago. I’m putting this in the fridge to drink over the next week to see if I die or not. I might get used to the cloudy look or I might just let the gallon batch sit for a few more months. Bentonite will be last ditch effort after that.
it hasn’t really changed in 3 weeks
063A2024-DC2E-43EF-BB55-48C2B2DEC31F.jpeg
It does have the look of coconut though 🥥

Last edited:
Well the two smaller bottles may have turned. I had my son in law sate yesterday and he said it did have a slight vinegary taste first but a strong alcohol after taste.

i haven’t messed with the gallon under airlock yet. I’ll try that later this week. I’m not supposed to get alcohol on the big gaping hole where my tooth used to be.

im going to try a heavy backsweeten on the small bottle and drink it anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed for yuh!

I've intentionally made apple cider vinegar a few times and it needs lots of fresh air and usually takes a few weeks (at least).

Does it smell sour? Is it changing color?

Alcohol taste is good. Get another opinion. If the acetobacter have just started you could possibly salvage the wine by pasteurizing it. I think it's 160F for 15 minutes or 140F for 30 minutes, but don't quote me.

Update time.

checked the gallon of coconut.
SG 0.999
in test glass I could smell the same vinegary type smell but not really taste it. Not terrible.
back in the closet that gallon goes.

the two small bottles in the fridge… full bottle, SG 1.06. This was backsweetened about a week to 2 weeks ago now. Didnt have quite as strong a smell. Didn’t taste bad at all.
the smaller bottle in fridge… SG 1.04. This must not have had quite as much sweetening. Taste was OK, just a little less desirable than the larger bottle.

I’m probably going to sweeten the larger bottle just a little more and see what happens.

I put over i gallon of coconut water in the freezer today.

i also got a quart bag full of coconut “jelly” and used it to make some pudding.

next time I make coconut water wine I will use a bunch of The “jelly” since it will give the yeast something a little more substantial to feast on.
BEB978C8-F81B-4B16-A77C-A6B0D3488D73.jpeg2E07F5DE-A45E-4C09-8AC6-754F0571DD89.jpegD05D4C4F-04D7-4295-B501-7D58C9BB1782.jpeg

Okay, I'll ask - what do you mean by coconut "jelly"?
I kept waiting for somebody to ask.

if you ever had a coconut chances are you broke it open and there was hard white coconut inside. Hard to get out often and usually come out with hard bitter brown side from the shell.

people from many islands call the pulp inside a young coconut “jelly” because that is its consistency.

“Many people have never heard of coconut “jelly” meat and it’s sometimes referred to as “coconut gel.” Coconut jelly is the meat of coconuts harvested while they’re young, green, and immature.

At that stage of their growth, coconuts contain a white flesh that resembles jelly. If left to mature, coconut jelly ripens into the firm, white flesh most people are familiar with for cooking and baking. The following are just some of the benefits of eating coconut jelly.”

It’s very yummy kind of slimy like
https://pin.it/4fnm8hc

Latest posts

Back