Coconut wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There‘s an empty space where the fermentation bucket should be. This is habit forming.
I want to make a 3 Gallon batch of mango or mango strawberry. Alas not enough carboys again…. I saw a 3 gallon one at the local b&m brew store for a fair price. 2 weeks to Soc. Sec. Check day.

There‘s an empty space where the fermentation bucket should be. This is habit forming.
I want to make a 3 Gallon batch of mango or mango strawberry. Alas not enough carboys again…. I saw a 3 gallon one at the local b&m brew store for a fair price. 2 weeks to Soc. Sec. Check day.
I know! I have 2 brew pads which I think I need this time of year so I force myself to only have 2 active fermentations at a time. It's been a challenge to not buy a third one.

Oh, and mango strawberry sounds really good!

Not that it matters now, but moving the wine to secondary storage is fine. Folks normally do so any time the SG is below 1.020, and occasionally higher. You can safely ignore it now for a couple of week, then check the SG. For juice I don't believe the racking point makes much difference, except that the yeast multiplies faster in an open container with O2. For grapes or fruit where extended contact allows more time for extraction from the fruit, lower SG is better.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that there aren't a boatload of opinions concerning SG and moving to secondary. Where is everybody?
I was at the beach, enjoying the sights and sounds!

You don’t have solid fruit in there so there probably aren’t any gross lees.
That may not be correct. Anything that drops that isn't yeast hulls is gross lees. Even though the coconut water looks mostly clear, there's "stuff" in it. From the pictures there's not much there and it probably doesn't matter, but as a group we're still uncertain about determining exactly the visual difference between gross and fine lees, so I'm mentioning this.

Yeah with the loquat wine, it was easy to tell when 90 % of the fruit was “eaten” up. Except for a few bits of grass and tiny pieces of husk, the coconut water didn’t have visible signs. If I had a microscope and knew what spent yeast looked like I would have examined what little was in the bottom.

it must be similar when you use squeezed juice only.

im not gonna get in the gross vs fine lees battle at this stage in my career, but in observation the lees in the coconut bucket were not really wanting to get sucked up in transfer. They weren’t wispy and didn’t try to ”follow” the wine through the siphon.

That may not be correct. Anything that drops that isn't yeast hulls is gross lees. Even though the coconut water looks mostly clear, there's "stuff" in it. From the pictures there's not much there and it probably doesn't matter, but as a group we're still uncertain about determining exactly the visual difference between gross and fine lees, so I'm mentioning this.
This is a good point, I should have highlighted the "probably". That discussion about gross and fine lees is a good one. I have a feeling it's going to come down to just what you indicated Bryan, the difference in determining if the lees are yeast hulls or not.

Right side of my head is numb. 90% of root canal is done. Have to go back in 3 weeks (oh joy). infection cleaned out medicine injected where root used to be. Three weeks later take out medicine and fill hole. Only took an hour or so and $1,215. 🤷‍♂️ 💸 there’s goes my ph tester and new carboy.

i need to make wine now to forget my problems

SG in secondary fairly steady went from 1.004 to 1.002
color still cloudy white. I’m gonna put it in the back and let it do what it wants to for a while.

this could be a candidate for blending with another wine. I think coconut probably goes well with lots of different fruit wines.

this could be a candidate for blending with another wine.
Bottle a few without blending. It will be useful to see how the wine develops as it ages.

My 2020 reds are a Merlot heavy blend (with Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot) and Merlot/Zinfandel blend with listed Bordeaux grapes). I bottled a gallon each of the Merlot, Zinfandel, sub-blend (Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot), and each of the major blends that were not barrel aged. The plan is to taste test the 7 wines annually for the next 5 years, starting next fall. I have NO idea what the result will be, which is a good reason for doing it.
:r

Bottle a few without blending. It will be useful to see how the wine develops as it ages.
:r
I plan on bottling MOST without blending. If it continues to develop as it has it’s gonna be a real conversation piece.

im thinking adding SOME coconut to other wines to add a small hint of coconut.

SG 1.000 now. Unique taste. Not really a white wine or fruit wine taste. Kind of jumps on the tongue. Hard to describe. In its present state I would serve as an after dinner glass. It’s gonna sit for a while and age.
I’ve got a bunch of small coconuts that need to get picked before the stem falls off the tree. Been really hot and dry so they haven’t gotten really fat yet.

I will definitely make another batch, might have to freeze the water from those ready now and add some others later. maybe next batch gets some lime juice. 🥥🍈

Not too sure what To make of this one. Not clearing, but I think that’s a minor issue since it “looks” like a coconut wine as is.

The taste ? …. I thought it maybe tasted a little fizzy the last time. Tonight I was tasting my other bulk aging wines and did the coconut last.

initial impression…. Kind of tasted mildly salty maybe. But a good flavor.

just don’t know what to make of it. No idea what age will do for it.
going To have to bring in my daughter and son in law for Opinions.
i very very Lightly backsweetened the small 750 ml bottle to see what effect that might have. It’s still a Young product at this Point.

15A06434-0DFA-40D1-BBFB-408086E04748.jpeg

@FlamingoEmporium Is it coconutty at all?
Hmmm. Hard to say because we drink coconut coffee with a squirt of coconut syrup every morning. So often what definitely tastes coconuts to others is not as obvious to me anymore. I have to say yes there is still a slight taste of coconut. There is a fruit type smell like my other wines but not necessarily coconut. definitely not a coconut odor like Malibu rum or coconut sun tan lotion

i went and tasted a sip, it is strong alcohol wise I think. I’m going to backsweeten just a bit more and bring in my outside tasters. I don’t think I will leave all of this dry. It could be pleasing as a sweeter wine.

but not as coconutty as you would expect. Early on it definitely had the flavor so I think Backsweetening will bring it out.

Latest posts

Back