Coated corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinolan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if all (better quality) natural corks have a wax, silicone or some other type coating on them? If not, what are the pros and cons of coated and non-coated corks? Thanks, Mike

Funny you should ask as I just asked that exact question yesterday to the cork manufacturer where I ordered my custom corks from. Natural corks get a true "hot wax" coating. The cheaper agglomerate corks that most of us use get a thinner (and cheaper) silicone spray coating. I don't know if all corks are coated these days or not but the place i ordered from (here in the states) coats all corks in some fashion. Anything coated will slide in the bottle much easier than anything uncoated for sure. I don't see any down side at all to a coated cork and would insist on using only one with a coat of some sort.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. I didn't know corks had an applied lube until I started researching recently. Where do you get your corks, by the way?

I just got mine yesterday from Lafitte Cork. They did a nice job on the printing and the price was very reasonable. There is a thread I started yesterday with pics and prices.

Most good corks like What Mike is reffering to and the corks at FineVineWines are coated with parrafin wax.

Latest posts

Back