Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
If I have added Bentonite to a carboy of wine and it didn't clear like I wanted it to, can I add Super-Kleer on top of it?

Thanks

Semper Fi

I like to use Bentonite in the primary. SuperKleer to clear after wine is dry.

Tom, I'm new to this wine making and I don't understand, why would I want to add a clearing agent to the primary. Isn't that where you start your fermentation and it's full of pulp and stuff?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Tom, I'm new to this wine making and I don't understand, why would I want to add a clearing agent to the primary. Isn't that where you start your fermentation and it's full of pulp and stuff?

Thanks

Semper Fi

The bentonite will bind to some of the protiens that would later cause haze. The theory is that while the ferment is going one, the "roiling" must carries the bentonite through the solution many times giving it more opportunities to capture the unwanted elements.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Yes and no. Like above bentonite can do a few things other than clear in the secondary. I have found using bentonite in the primary and superkleer once wine is racked and dry works best.
I find using just bentonite to clear is not as effictive as adding superkleer

Bud:

Bentonite is not what I consider a "Standard clearing agent". It helps to remove protein haze, and can perform that function in the primary or secondary vessel. Bentonite also aids in fermentation by providing nucleation sites for the yeast, and aiding in the yeast's circulation around the must/wine. This second benefit is not available if the bentonite is added once the primary fermentation is complete.

You are making a Grand Cru kit. That kit's instructions called for adding the bentonite to the primary before pitching the yeast. The kit companies realize the benefits of adding bentonite to the primary, and also that less bentonite will be required.

Finally, it is my understanding that for bentonite to be fully effective it needs to actively circulate throughoutthe must/wine. This is accomplished in the primary by the action of the CO2 bubbles rising. To accomplish the same results post-fermentation requires stirring (and apparently more bentonite). I am adverse to lots of stirring at this point as (1) it hurts my arm (yeah I know - use a Fizz-X on a drill), and (2) may introduce oxygen to the wine.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Boy!, am I learning stuff, don't know if my brain is big enuf for all this. Now, with all the answers, I have another question, I thought you needed lots of oxygen in the primary, I've been stiring it and doing it like you do hot soup, taking a large spoon and dipping it out and letting it catch some air as I dump it back, is this good or bad?

Thanks again

Semper Fi

How come they don't suggest to add Bentonite to the frozen grapes or the frozen juice from Midwest? bk

Boy!, am I learning stuff, don't know if my brain is big enuf for all this. Now, with all the answers, I have another question, I thought you needed lots of oxygen in the primary, I've been stiring it and doing it like you do hot soup, taking a large spoon and dipping it out and letting it catch some air as I dump it back, is this good or bad?

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Bud you won't have a problem stirring your primary like that. You are correct you need oxygen in the primary.. haha I am not sure I would stir it like soup but as long as the fermentation is roaring you shouldn't have a problem... Just MHO...

How come they don't suggest to add Bentonite to the frozen grapes or the frozen juice from Midwest? bk
Possible answers:

1. I believe that bentonite conflicts with some additives that you might use with fresh grapes.
2. Different winemakers, different procedures.
3. Some people don't use bentonite with reds, because a bit of protein haze is not really visible.
4. They treat the juice/grapes in some other way. I think this one is unlikely.

Steve

Thanks again

Semper Fi
Bud:

When I make a kit, I add the bentonite, and stir the dickens out of the must/bentonite/oak/whatever before sprinkling the yeast. This serves two purposes. Mixes everything really well, and stirs oxygen into the must. I don't bother with the spoon in-and-out business. Also I stir the must much more vigourously than I would hot soup. A splash of must might discolour something (I use large primaries so splashes don't usually escape the primary), but hot soup is a definite OUCH.

Steve

I agree with above posts and use bentonite in primary also to 1) prevent a protein haze and 2) ot helpsettle out more of the heavier solids so that I dont rack them over to secondary.

Back