WineXpert Clearing after racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
Master forum people, you can edit this and repost this if you see fit onto the most suitable topic......

Last week, we stabilised and degassed ( with the cordless drill) our Limited Edition Ausralian Riesling. I the went on to degass the carboy for an evening with a hand held vacuum pump @ 20-25 inches.
What I noticed on this wine (and not with our two Island Mists) is that in addition to the sediment on the bottom of the carboy, we also have a fair amount collecting on the sides of the carboy.
Should I re-rack and then re- degass with the cordless drill and let it be?
I'm worried that degassing it with the pump somehow did not allow the sediment to settle how it should.
I would love to send a picture of the vacuum set up that I made, but I don't know how to do it.--I don't know how to type, so this hunting and pecking typing method takes me a while just to send out forum questions!

termini you should be good as you did it. To get the sediment off the sides, GENTLY bump the carboy on the floor by tipping it a couple inches and let it bump the floor when you tip it back. Don't try it on a cement floor, but a carpeted floor or rug should be fine. It will drop the lees off the sides and you are all set.

Don't feel bad about typing. I always have to go back and edit my typos.Edited by: appleman

termini, had the same problem that you experienced and thought that something was wrong. Did what was suggested and worked out perfect.
smiley32.gif

I give th carboy a quick twist on a smooth surface. I not to fond of bumping the carboy myself as sometimes you go a little aboard and can bump it a little too hard.
smiley3.gif

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll split the difference and spin it on a bumpy floorJust kidding---I'll up date with the results

I came up with a unique solution to this problem. I have one of those vibrator/heating pads that I set my carboy on and turn on the vibrator on low and it works like a charm.

Waldo, Good to hear from you. I thought maybe the wind took you out of circulation
smiley20.gif

appleman said:
Don't feel bad about typing. I always have to go back and edit my typos.

Me too. The fat finger syndrome...

I use the bump technique toobut have made carboy pads of an old thick towel which seems to work. Wish that towel had started out wine colored though
smiley2.gif

And, I've noticed Waldo a little quiet too. Missed his brand of humor so good to see you Waldo.Edited by: Jack on Rainy

Latest posts

Back