Cleaning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
I seen somewhere on here a comment about cleaning with dish soap. They said to never use it. What's everyone's take on this and if that's true what's the reasoning behind it?

not sure what you are referring to ?

If you are talking about cleaning bottles - alot of us use oxy clean (non-scented and chlorine ) - if that is what you are referring to ?

I think dishwashing machine detergent has bleach. Many people here advise ageinst using chlorine bleach.

If you're referring to regular dish soap, I think the reasoning is that it's not as good as oxy clean in removing dug in stains from inside carboys and other equipment without scrubbing. It also is quite tedious to rinse out and there's a possibility of residue left over that you won't see, but you'll definitely taste with your next batch

Squeeze a tiny drop on your tongue...Do you want your wine to taste like that???

For cleaning vats, bottles, etc. get yourself a big jar of PBW. It does a great job of attacking crud and eliminating leftover color in vats and hoses. Once you use it for that, you may find other uses for it around the house. It's a great product for cleaning brewing equipment. Don't use dishsoap.

Latest posts

Back