Cleaning used bottle necks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstnh1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a method of removing the waxy coating that's in the necks of used wine bottles? I assume this is the residue from the wax/silicone coating some cork manufacturers put on their corks. Soaking in Oxyclean won't do it. I've had no problem leaving it there, but it just seems it would be better if it was removed.

I'm not sure what wax coating would be inside the bottle. But I would probably try a bottle brush. If soap doesn't get it out try something like orange degreaser.

Most corks have a coating on them to allow them to be inserted easier. That coating leaves a waxy residue on the inside neck of the bottle and the usual cleaners don't take it off, even with a bottle brush. I've left the coating on when bottling and have had no problem for many kits over 5 plus years. Still, it seems it would be better to get this stuff off.

Most corks have a coating on them to allow them to be inserted easier. That coating leaves a waxy residue on the inside neck of the bottle and the usual cleaners don't take it off, even with a bottle brush. I've left the coating on when bottling and have had no problem for many kits over 5 plus years. Still, it seems it would be better to get this stuff off.
If it doesn't cause harm why bother? Also DIAM corks do not leave residue.

Dawn dish soap has paraffin in it that is dissolved in alcohol, i use it to remove wax and propolis on bee keeping equipment. Strait isopropyl alcohol is used in lapidary to remove dopping wax. A dopping stick is a temporary stick or handle used to hold a piece of rock while grinding and polishing, usually glued on with sealing wax.

Where did you get these bottles? How much of a coating is there? These were'nt used as candle holders were they? Some folks do that and if they are not messy with it and just pulled the candles and discarde that might be it. I imagine that's NOT the case but...

Agree with Dawn liquid. A great grease/coating remover. Removes car wax superbly. Even a fresh coat of wax - :ft

Today we degassed 7 carboys then filtered & bottled 50 bottles using the allinonewinepump. Absolutely the way to go degassing, filtering and bottling

Back