Used wine bottles

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Old Corker

Phil
Reaction score
Love an Oxy soak, but I'm starting to notice that some of the bottles that are on the 2nd or 3rd pass through my delabeling pipeline are starting to get "oxidized" on the outside. It makes me worry about the insides and those get recycled. I'm now using a dish soap soak for unlabeled bottles and an Oxy soak for new labeled bottles.
You think the Oxy is causing some damage to the bottles? Have not seen that. I only do the full treatment on "new" used bottles. Since its my least favorite part of the hobby we are pretty anal about rinsing out bottles as soon as they are empty and if I put a label on it is only the easy peel variety.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Love an Oxy soak, but I'm starting to notice that some of the bottles that are on the 2nd or 3rd pass through my delabeling pipeline are starting to get "oxidized" on the outside. It makes me worry about the insides and those get recycled. I'm now using a dish soap soak for unlabeled bottles and an Oxy soak for new labeled bottles.
You might try an overnight soak in Distilled white vinegar. I know that sounds like a bad thing to have vinegar ANYWHERE around your wine making but this is distilled white vinegar. Excellent at removing all sorts of deposits and rust on metal too. (It's my favorite rusty metal cleaner.)

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
You might try an overnight soak in Distilled white vinegar. I know that sounds like a bad thing to have vinegar ANYWHERE around your wine making but this is distilled white vinegar. Excellent at removing all sorts of deposits and rust on metal too. (It's my favorite rusty metal cleaner.)
you recon my skeeter pee port might work,;)
Dawg

opus345

Reaction score
You think the Oxy is causing some damage to the bottles? Have not seen that. I only do the full treatment on "new" used bottles. Since its my least favorite part of the hobby we are pretty anal about rinsing out bottles as soon as they are empty and if I put a label on it is only the easy peel variety.
Yes. Now that I switched to two separate soaks, I'm not seeing the deposits on my used bottles with my peelable labels.

@Scooter68 Thanks for the idea. Next cleaning run, I may see if I have any "oxydized" and try the distilled vinegar treatment.

Latest posts